Since the financial meltdown in 2008, the Federal Reserve's range of powers have expanded, as have the kinds of financial institutions it monitors and regulates. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke is now saying that the Fed's oversight has expanded beyond strictly financial institutions to wide swaths of the economy that might, in his words, provide evidence of "emerging ...
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Energy stocks rose on Monday, the top gainer in the S&P 500 Index, standing head and shoulders above other sectors and up 4.3% on the ...
news ) outperforms, IBEX lags on technical signals * Miners drag as metal prices weaken By Alistair Smout LONDON, May 20 (Reuters) - European shares reached new five-year peaks on Monday, supported by strength in the autos and travel sector, where budget airline Ryanair's stock hit a record high on the back of strong earnings. Travel and leisure stocks gained 1.1 percent, led by a ...
(Reuters) - Monsanto Co is hosting a "Bee Summit." Bayer AG is breaking ground on a "Bee Care Center." And Sygenta AG is funding grants for research into the accelerating demise of honeybees in the United States, where the insects pollinate fruits and vegetables that make up roughly a quarter of the American ...
EAD.PA ) could steal the Paris air show with a flypast of its newest passenger jet, the A350, as confidence grows over a maiden flight some four weeks ...
The Devil's Own
For a film headed by Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt about such highly charged subject matter as the IRA and the deception of a father-figure by his adopted son, "The Devil's Own" is awfully dull. While it was in production, there were rampant rumors of ego wars between the two stars and endless script revisions, so severe that Pitt wanted to walk out because the working script bore little resemblance ... ...
US stocks rose slightly as acquisition activity gave support, but investors were hesitant to rush into the market with indexes hovering around record ...
Mon May 20, 2013 1:10pm EDT May 20 (Reuters) - OSI Systems Inc said the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has issued it a "proposed debarment notice" related to privacy concerns over its full-body passenger scanners used in airports, limiting the company's ability to sign new federal government contracts until the issue is resolved. OSI Systems shares fell as much as 17 percent on ...
* Warmer trend this week lifts prospects for demand * Front-month futures gain for second day By Joe Silha NEW YORK, May 20 (Reuters) - U.S. natural gas futures rose for a second straight session on Monday as warmer weather stretching from Texas to the Northeast this week should boost demand by forcing homeowners and businesses to crank up their air conditioners. Prices have bounced roughly 5 ...
Mon May 20, 2013 1:04pm EDT By Carlos Ruano MADRID May 20 (Reuters) - Spanish department store El Corte Ingles, the country's largest privately held company, said on Monday it had started talks to restructure debt totalling 5 billion euros ($6.43 billion). El Corte Ingles, one of Spain's largest employers and most venerable retailers, has been hit by a tough economic downturn and been ...
Mon May 20, 2013 1:01pm EDT * Bank accused of steering 401(k) business to win extra fees * Morgan Stanley declines comment; ING denies wrongdoing May 20 (Reuters) - Morgan Stanley has been sued by an Alabama medical laboratory that claims it steered retirement plan business to ING U.S. Inc and others in exchange for extra fees in an illegal "pay-to-play" scheme. Skin Pathology Associates ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, Canada
After getting off the Greyhound bus I trudged through the Whistler Village to the bottom of Whistler Mountain, and there ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Milwaukee SunMilwaukee Sun – Local Milwaukee News | Global & Business News
The Milwaukee Sun is essentially a local Milwaukee newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Milwaukee, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Milwaukee Sun.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Greenberg Hawks hands full vs. 7-seed Wings
- Lions Johnson played with broken fingers
- Caple Orioles win Battle of the Unis
- Freshman Impact Ohio State
- 5-on-5 Conference finals Qs
- Ahead of strategic dialogue US official goes to India
- Chinese hackers resume cyber attacks on U.S. companies government agencies
- Did Justin Theroux have bachelor party at NYC
- Obama to reveal Guantanamo Bay plans drones strategy on Thursday
- India-US Homeland Security dialogue to begin today
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chiranjeevi to inaugurate incredible India exhibition at Cannes today
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights after 4-month halt with flight from Houston to Chicago
- Moonshine University classes in session in Louisville
- Amtrak upgrades Wi-Fi allowing passengers to complain about it even faster
- Large rally places job demands on Italian government
- Americans happier with economic figures
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Financial Times allegedly hacked by Syrians
- Target looks for new ideas from digital world
- Space History Photo Sikorsky JH-19D Chickasaw Helicopter
- Ever hack your body Join us for a chat about the new trend at 1230 p.m. ET
- Clearwater | Space Wallpaper
- Tim Peake to become first British astronaut to visit International Space Station - video
- ‘Major Tim’ Peake to Make first British Long-duration Spaceflight
- Menu labeling lowers caloric intake
- Takeout sites GrubHub and Seamless will merge
- First the speeches. Then the Smirnoff Ice at high society wedding
- AFridayIn The Nantucket Wine Festival
- Midday Glance Beverages companies
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Milwaukee Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Lawmaker says Wisconsin tax cut could be expanded
- Former MSOE students Miller Park from Legos at national exhibit
- Scott Walker reappoints Stephen Marcus to Wisconsin Center District Board
- Motorcycle Group Holds Power in Wisconsin Helmet Debate
- Innovation in Milwaukee receives $350000 art grant