Mohan Sinha
24 May 2026, 15:52 GMT+10
HELSINGBORG, Sweden: U.S. President Donald Trump's turnaround on sending 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland just weeks after ordering the same number of troops to be pulled out of Europe has left NATO allies and defense officials bewildered.
The sudden change in decision came after weeks of comments from Trump and his team about reducing, not increasing, U.S. troops in Europe. His earlier order had already caused concern among military leaders and allies, who were unsure about America's commitment and wondered how they would fill gaps on NATO's eastern side near Russia and Ukraine.
Earlier this month, the administration said it would cut about 5,000 troops in Europe. Around 4,000 troops also stopped rotating into Poland from Germany, and plans to send U.S. forces trained in long-range missile use to Germany were canceled.
However, on May 21, Trump posted on Truth Social that he would send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, citing his strong relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki.
This shift confused allies. Sweden's foreign minister, Maria Malmer Stenergard, said the situation was hard to understand, while officials from countries such as the Netherlands, Norway, and Latvia reacted more calmly, saying they knew U.S. troop plans were under review and that, for now, nothing had really changed.
Even U.S. defense officials said they were unsure what the new decision meant, after already spending weeks responding to the earlier announcement.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said allies understand that the U.S. is reviewing its military needs and that, over time, there will likely be fewer American troops in Europe.
The earlier plan to withdraw troops came after Trump criticized comments by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who had said the U.S. looked weak in dealing with Iran and lacked a clear strategy. Trump then said the U.S. might cut even more troops and also announced tariffs on European cars.
Rubio said the troop changes were not meant as punishment but were part of an ongoing review.
At present, about 80,000 U.S. troops are based in Europe. The Pentagon must keep at least 76,000 troops there unless NATO allies are consulted and it is decided that reducing the troop presence would serve U.S. interests.
Removing 5,000 troops could push the total below the required limit.
Poland Welcomes Trump's Latest Statement
However, Trump's latest statement suggests that the number of U.S. troops in Europe may not change after all. Poland's foreign minister, Radosław Sikorski, welcomed the plan to send more troops, saying it would keep the U.S. military presence in Poland almost the same as before.
NATO chief Mark Rutte also supported the move. Even before Trump's new statement, he had said Europe needs to take more responsibility for its own security and that such changes are part of normal procedures.
At NATO headquarters in Brussels, U.S. officials explained their military plans to allies, including how forces would be deployed to defend Europe in the event of serious threats. Many had expected further cuts in U.S. troops.
When asked whether any reductions had been confirmed, Rutte said the situation is complicated and that details cannot be shared because they are classified.
Rubio also tried to calm concerns, saying that every country regularly reviews its military needs and global commitments, and adjusts its forces accordingly.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationWASHINGTON, D.C: Tulsi Gabbard announced on May 22 that she will step down as U.S. director of national intelligence, saying she wants...
HELSINGBORG, Sweden: U.S. President Donald Trump's turnaround on sending 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland just weeks after ordering the...
TEL AVIV/DUBLIN: The Israeli government said on May 21 that all the activists from a flotilla trying to break Israel's naval blockade...
DAMMAM, Saudi Arabia: Iran has released a new map claiming control over the Strait of Hormuz, which could make things even harder for...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Dozens of firefighters worked through the night on May 21 to control a huge fire at a major business in Donegal. ...
KATHMANDU, Nepal: A record 274 climbers scaled Mount Everest on May 20, the highest number ever to reach the world's tallest peak on...
WASHINGTON, D.C: Tulsi Gabbard announced on May 22 that she will step down as U.S. director of national intelligence, saying she wants...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Albert Cesare/The Enquirer / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Regardless of what happens when the Cincinnati Reds...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs know their losing streak won't go on forever, but the long string...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) The Tampa Bay Rays are comfortable waiting to the late innings to pull off comebacks...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) The visiting Los Angels Dodgers hope Yoshinobu Yamamoto can repeat his postseason performance...
