RT.com
24 May 2026, 06:47 GMT+10
Washington is looking to diversify Indias energy supply after triggering a global crisis with its attack on Iran
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has held talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi focused on expanding an energy "partnership" amid the global crisis caused by the US-Israeli war with Iran.
During a meeting on Saturday, part of Rubio's four-day visit to India, the US secretary of state said the two sides had discussed "the situation in the Middle East and US-India partnership in energy, securing critical supply chains, and collaboration on emerging technologies."
Modi described the discussions as focused on "sustained progress" in the India-US strategic partnership, as well as regional and global security issues. "India and the United States will continue to work closely for the global good," he wrote on X after the meeting.
India, the world's third-largest crude importer, relies on foreign suppliers for more than 80% of its energy needs and has been heavily affected by the crisis, even though Tehran has allowed Indian vessels to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, which it shut to "hostile" nations.
Rubio claimed that Washington - which imposed its own blockade of the strategic waterway - "will not let Iran hold the global energy market hostage" and affirmed that "US energy products have the potential to diversify India's energy supply."
Ahead of the trip, Rubio said the US wanted to become "a bigger part" of India's import portfolio and "sell them as much energy as they'll buy," while also pointing to "opportunities with Venezuelan oil." He said that interim President Delcy Rodriguez, who assumed power after the US military raid on Venezuela in January, would travel to India next week to discuss oil sales now conducted under Washington's full control.
Shortly after meeting Modi, Rubio claimed that India had "committed" to purchasing $500 billion worth of US goods over the next five years, focused on energy, technology, and agriculture. New Delhi, however, has yet to officially confirm any new commitments.
In recent years, ties between Washington and New Delhi have been strained by a trade deficit that stood at $58.2 billion last year and by India's continued purchases of Russian oil, which has been the country's largest energy source since 2022.
New Delhi has refused to halt Russian oil imports, insisting it will continue sourcing energy from all available suppliers to protect the economy and national interests. Earlier this year, the Trump administration imposed punitive tariffs on Indian goods linked to trade with Russia, but later eased the measures under a preliminary deal with Modi.
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDAMMAM, Saudi Arabia: Iran has released a new map claiming control over the Strait of Hormuz, which could make things even harder for...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Dozens of firefighters worked through the night on May 21 to control a huge fire at a major business in Donegal. ...
KATHMANDU, Nepal: A record 274 climbers scaled Mount Everest on May 20, the highest number ever to reach the world's tallest peak on...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Hundreds of people gathered outside Ireland's parliament on May 21 to protest the death of a Congolese-born man, which...
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands: Europe could face a serious gas shortage if shipping disruptions through the Strait of Hormuz continue for...
GENEVA, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said on May 20 that the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) The visiting Los Angeles Dodgers will turn to right-hander Roki Sasaki as they look...
(Photo credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images) Gerrit Cole pitched six strong innings during his return from reconstructive elbow surgery,...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy is expected to miss a few games after being...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) William Contreras set the tone with an early three-run homer and Logan Henderson tossed...
(Photo credit: Patrick Oehler/Poughkeepsie Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Former Cy Young Award-winner Gerrit Cole...
