RT.com
18 May 2026, 13:25 GMT+10
There wont be anything left of the country if it doesnt agree to American demands, the US president has threatened
US President Donald Trump has threatened Iran with a new attack if Tehran doesn't agree to make swift concessions to Washington.
Indirect talks between the sides have remained stalled since a fragile ceasefire was established in early April after a month of hostilities initiated by the US and Israel. Both Washington and Tehran have repeatedly dismissed each other's demands, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi earlier this week singling out the Trump administration's "maximalist approach" and provocative rhetoric as main obstacles to reaching a deal.
Meanwhile, disruptions continue in the Strait of Hormuz, which has heavily affected global shipping and sent oil prices soaring. While Tehran has announced its own mechanism to regulate maritime traffic through the waterway, which accounts for some 25% of global crude trade, the US has rejected the scheme and is enforcing a naval blockade on Iranian ports in retaliation.
Trump took to his Truth Social platform on Sunday to warn that "for Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"
In April, the US president faced worldwide condemnation after warning that Iran's "whole civilization will die," with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres saying that he was "deeply troubled" by the statement and Pope Leo XIV calling it "unacceptable."
The new threat followed the president's meeting on Saturday with top members of his national security team, including Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and special envoy Steve Witkoff, dedicated to the situation around Iran, CNN reported.
According to the broadcaster's sources, the Pentagon has prepared a list of targets, including energy and infrastructure sites, if Trump ultimately decides to resume strikes on the country.
The New York Times reported on Friday, citing unnamed American officials, that the US and Israel are actively preparing for a renewal of hostilities with Iran and could launch "more aggressive bombing runs" as early as next week.
READ MORE: US officials want UAE to seize Iranian island Telegraph
Iranian Defense Ministry spokesman Brigadier General Reza Talaei-Nik said on Sunday that the country's military is "fully prepared" to repel a new attack by Washington and West Jerusalem and deliver "a regretful response to the enemies."
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationCOLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Divers in the Maldives searched on May 16 for four Italian divers who are believed to have died inside an underwater...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cuba's Raul Castro may be indicted by the United States, a U.S. Department of Justice official said late on May...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: Unionized workers went on strike for the first time in three decades, bringing the Long Island Rail Road,...
BANGKOK, Thailand: Miners in Myanmar have found a very large and rare ruby. It is believed to be the second-largest ruby ever found...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: Kalshi and Polymarket are reporting a sharp increase in suspicious trading as prediction markets attract more...
DUBLIN, Ireland: A detective garda accused of helping an organized crime gang, taking bribes, and possessing over 100 rounds of ammunition...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) Carson Benge drove in the winning run in the 10th inning for the second time in a...
(Photo credit: Matt Krohn-Imagn Images) Kody Clemens went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs as the Minnesota Twins escaped with...
(Photo credit: Malcolm Emmons-Imagn Images) Sherman Lewis, a former Michigan State star who won four Super Bowls as an NFL assistant...
(Photo credit: Jeff Curry-Imagn Images) The Kansas City Royals are approaching desperation mode as they enter Sunday afternoon's...
(Photo credit: Jeff Curry-Imagn Images) Young pitchers keep coming up big for the Milwaukee Brewers. Coleman Crow, 25, gave up...
(Photo credit: Wendell Cruz-Imagn Images) The New York Mets might not be able to climb out of the hole they've dug over the first...
