ANI
19 May 2026, 10:30 GMT+10
Tehran [Iran], May 19 (ANI): Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi, whose film 'It Was Just An Accident' received an Oscar nomination and won the Palme d'Or at Cannes last year, has reportedly been summoned for a court hearing in Iran this week, Deadline said.
According to local media reports, the hearing is linked to a retrial in a case involving charges of 'propaganda activity against the regime.' The hearing is expected to take place on Wednesday.
Panahi had earlier been sentenced in absentia to one year in prison along with a two-year travel ban while he was attending international film events for It Was Just An Accident. Branch 26 of the Tehran Islamic Revolutionary Court, which is handling the case, had also banned him from joining political and social groups.
The retrial comes after Panahi's lawyers appealed against the earlier ruling. The filmmaker had returned to Iran at the end of March after attending the 98th Academy Awards, where It Was Just An Accident was among the films nominated in the Best International Feature Film category.
Panahi's film was widely praised internationally and won the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. The jury at Cannes last year was headed by actress Juliette Binoche.
The director has faced several legal troubles in Iran over the years. In July 2022, he was arrested after visiting Tehran's Evin prison to ask about filmmakers Mohammad Rasoulof and Mostafa Al-Ahmad, who had been detained earlier.
Soon after his arrest, Iranian authorities reactivated a six-year prison sentence first issued against him in 2010. At that time, Panahi was also given a 20-year ban on filmmaking and travel. The charges were linked to his support for protests following Iran's 2009 Green Movement.
Panahi was released from prison in February 2023 after going on a hunger strike. Despite restrictions and legal challenges, he has continued making films that have received global recognition.
According to Deadline, the director has faced several legal troubles in Iran over the years. In July 2022, he was arrested after visiting Tehran's Evin prison to ask about filmmakers Mohammad Rasoulof and Mostafa Al-Ahmad, who had been detained earlier.
Soon after his arrest, Iranian authorities reactivated a six-year prison sentence first issued against him in 2010. At that time, Panahi was also given a 20-year ban on filmmaking and travel. The charges were linked to his support for protests following Iran's 2009 Green Movement.
Panahi was released from prison in February 2023 after going on a hunger strike. Despite restrictions and legal challenges, he has continued making films that have received global recognition. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationPARIS, France: The head of the International Energy Agency warned on May 18 that commercial oil inventories are being depleted quickly...
TEHRAN, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Iran has handed over its newest 14-point proposed plan for ending the war with the United States to mediator...
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Divers in the Maldives searched on May 16 for four Italian divers who are believed to have died inside an underwater...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cuba's Raul Castro may be indicted by the United States, a U.S. Department of Justice official said late on May...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: Unionized workers went on strike for the first time in three decades, bringing the Long Island Rail Road,...
BANGKOK, Thailand: Miners in Myanmar have found a very large and rare ruby. It is believed to be the second-largest ruby ever found...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers homered and drove in four runs on Monday night to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Monday night series opener between the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego...
(Photo credit: Erik Williams-Imagn Images) The Houston Astros enter a new series with the same old question. When will the team's...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) The last time the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers met, it ended with a dogpile after...
(Photo credit: John E. Sokolowski-Imagn Images) Last summer, the Toronto Blue Jays outplayed the New York Yankees and won the American...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) Carson Benge drove in the winning run in the 10th inning for the second time in a...
