Mohan Sinha
21 May 2026, 11:21 GMT+10
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysia's defense minister said on May 19 that the country has sent a notice to Norway asking for more than 1 billion ringgit (about US$252 million) in compensation. This came after Norway suddenly canceled export approvals for a naval missile system on Malaysian warships.
Norway said it had withdrawn some export licenses due to changes in its export rules. The decision surprised Malaysia and caused a diplomatic dispute. Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim called the move "one-sided and unacceptable."
Defense Minister Mohamad Khaled Nordin said Malaysia will seek compensation for both direct and indirect losses. He added that Malaysia had already paid about 126 million euros, around 95 percent of the contract, for the missile systems.
Malaysia also plans to claim extra damages for the cost of removing and replacing equipment on ships designed for the missiles, as well as retraining personnel.
Khaled said Norway's action raises concerns about the reliability of international defense partners, especially those from Western or NATO countries. He said the issue is not just about defense purchases, but also about a wider loss of trust between countries.
Norway's foreign ministry has not yet responded to Malaysia's request. Meanwhile, Norwegian company Kongsberg had earlier signed a 124 million euro deal in 2018 to supply missiles to Malaysia's navy, with another similar deal also in place.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationKUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysia's defense minister said on May 19 that the country has sent a notice to Norway asking for more than...
WASHINGTON/DUBAI: U.S. President Donald Trump said on May 19 that the United States might need to carry out another strike on Iran....
CARACAS, Venezuela: Ten days after the state confirmed to Carmen Navas that her son had died in state custody, the 82-year-old passed...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Fifteen people who avoided paying tolls on the M50 motorway, including car, truck, and van owners, were fined a total...
ROTTERDAM, Netherlands: Authorities at the Dutch port of Rotterdam prepared quarantine arrangements on May 18 for the remaining 23...
LONDON/NEW YORK CITY: The war involving the United States, Israel and Iran has already cost companies around the world at least US$25...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison finally is looking like...
(Photo credit: Jesse Johnson-Imagn Images) Jake Meyers is ready to provide the latest jolt of energy to the Houston Astros. Meyers...
(Photo credit: Rafael Suanes-Imagn Images) James Wood's three hits included an inside-the-park grand slam as the host Washington...
(Photo credit: Matt Marton-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski threw six shutout innings to lift the visiting Milwaukee Brewers to a...
