ANI
19 May 2026, 23:31 GMT+10
Lisbon [Portugal], May 19 (ANI): Legendary footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is set to feature in a record sixth FIFA World Cup at the age of 41 after Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez named him in a 27-man squad for the tournament, which also includes a symbolic 'plus one' tribute to the late Diogo Jota.
Speaking at the Cidade do Futebol on Tuesday, Martinez confirmed that fourth-choice goalkeeper Ricardo Velho, currently with Genclerbirligi Ankara, will travel with the squad but can only be added to the official 26-man roster if one of the three registered goalkeepers suffers an injury.
Portugal, the reigning Nations League champions, will begin their Group K campaign in Houston against the Democratic Republic of the Congo on June 17. They will then face Uzbekistan at the same venue on June 23 before concluding their group stage against Colombia in Miami on June 27. The tournament will run from June 11 to July 19.
Martinez described his selection as '27 players plus one', referring to Jota, who was included as a symbolic presence following his tragic death in a car accident in July last year at the age of 28.
'He is our strength, our joy,' Martinez said as quoted by Al Jazeera. 'Losing Diogo was an unforgettable and very difficult moment, but the very next day, it was up to all of us to fight for Diogo's dream and for the example he always set in our national team. Diogo Jota's spirit, strength and example are the +1 and will always be the +1,' Martinez said.
The coach defended his decision to name four goalkeepers and five fullbacks, while leaving out players including Mateus Fernandes, Ricardo Horta and Pedro Goncalves.
'The complexity of the tournament is very important - the demands of the weather, the time zone, everything we already experienced in March,' Martinez said. 'There are positions where we need to have more than two players per position. And we need five fullbacks.'
Portugal will play a warm-up against Chile in Oeiras on June 6 and Nigeria in Leiria on June 10. FIFA has stipulated that the squad must be in their Palm Beach, Florida, training camp at least five days before their opening match.
Portugal World Cup squad:
Goalkeepers: Diogo Costa (FC Porto), Jose Sa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Rui Silva (Sporting CP); Ricardo Velho (Genclerbirligi Ankara).
Defenders: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United); Matheus Nunes (Manchester City), Nelson Semedo (Fenerbahce SK), Joao Cancelo (FC Barcelona), Nuno Mendes (PSG), Goncalo Inacio (Sporting CP), Renato Veiga (Villarreal); Ruben Dias (Manchester City); Tomas Araujo (SL Benfica).
Midfielders: Ruben Neves (Al Hilal), Samuel Costa (Mallorca), Joao Neves (PSG), Vitinha (PSG), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City).
Forwards: Joao Felix (Al Nassr), Francisco Trincao (Sporting CP), Francisco Conceicao (Juventus), Pedro Neto (Chelsea), Rafael Leao (AC Milan), Goncalo Guedes (Real Sociedad), Goncalo Ramos (PSG); Cristiano Ronaldo (Al Nassr). (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationLONDON, U.K.: Prince William plans to sell portions of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade to help finance more than £500 million...
PARIS, France: The head of the International Energy Agency warned on May 18 that commercial oil inventories are being depleted quickly...
TEHRAN, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Iran has handed over its newest 14-point proposed plan for ending the war with the United States to mediator...
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Divers in the Maldives searched on May 16 for four Italian divers who are believed to have died inside an underwater...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cuba's Raul Castro may be indicted by the United States, a U.S. Department of Justice official said late on May...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: Unionized workers went on strike for the first time in three decades, bringing the Long Island Rail Road,...
(Photo credit: Matt Krohn-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins demoted slumping infielder Royce Lewis to Triple-A St. Paul on Tuesday....
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) In what could be another season-long battle to the finish line, a victory for the visiting...
(Photo credit: Gary A. Vasquez-Imagn Images) Zach Neto walloped a two-run homer with no outs in the ninth inning, giving the Los...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers homered and drove in four runs on Monday night to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Monday night series opener between the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego...
(Photo credit: Erik Williams-Imagn Images) The Houston Astros enter a new series with the same old question. When will the team's...
