ANI
19 May 2026, 23:32 GMT+10
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], May 19 (ANI): Senior Advocate HP Ranina on Tuesday said that the Adani Group will start their business in a 'big way' in the United States after the US Department of Justice moved to permanently dismiss all alleged criminal fraud charges against industrialist Gautam Adani and his nephew, Sagar Adani.
Ranina said that the decision will also give a boost to shares of Adani Group.
'The payment has been made without admitting that any offence has been committed. So, this is a normal method of settlement in order that they may now be able to access the American market - both the debt market and the equity market. So, this payment has nothing to do with SEBI because this is an issue which was done by the American authorities,' he said.
'In fact, the Department of Justice in America has stated that they have no evidence, and they are withdrawing this case against Adani Group because it would be a waste of money on their part. So, the very fact that they have withdrawn the case itself shows that Adani Group is absolutely in the clear. Therefore, there is no question of SEBI or any other authority probing this matter in India,' he added.
The Senior Advocate said the market will now respond positively because 'they have been cleared' as the Department of Justice in America has withdrawn the case before the District Court of New York.
'Whatever payment is made is made as a matter of abundant caution in order to avoid any litigation, and this is a normal procedure without admitting that any offence has been committed. This is a very important point. This will give a boost to the shares of Adani. The market will now respond positively because they have been cleared, as the Department of Justice in America has withdrawn the case before the District Court of New York and said that we have no evidence to further proceed in this matter,' he said.
'Because there is no evidence, therefore we are withdrawing the case. So, this will actually help the Adani Group shares because it will show that they have been given a clean chit. Even in America, they will start their business in a big way because now allegations have been withdrawn,' Ranina said.
The United States Department of Justice has moved to permanently dismiss all alleged criminal fraud charges against billionaire Gautam Adani and Sagar Adani, reported Reuters.
The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) had earlier alleged that Gautam Adani, Sagar Adani and others orchestrated an alleged USD 250 million-plus bribery scheme between 2020 and 2024 to secure solar energy contracts in India.
On April 8, the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York had accepted a plea filed by the counsels for Gautam and Sagar Adani for a pre-motion conference to dismiss the case.
The decision to drop the high-profile case comes after the Adani Group has reportedly pledged to invest USD 10 billion into the United States.
Federal prosecutors filed the request in the court, effectively ending the years-long prosecution.
In the court filing, federal prosecutors asked the judge to permanently dismiss the charges. Quoting prosecutors, the Wall Street Journal reported, 'The Department of Justice has reviewed this case and has decided, in its prosecutorial discretion, not to devote further resources to these criminal charges against individual defendants.'
Earlier, the U.S. SEC had settled the civil lawsuit against Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani, subject to court approval. According to media reports, Court documents show that Gautam Adani agreed to pay civil penalties of $6 million, while his nephew Sagar Adani, agreed to pay $12 million. The proposed settlement doesn't include an admission of guilt, said news reports.
In their plea before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York the counsels for Gautam and Sagar Adani had filed for a pre-motion conference to dismiss the case. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationLONDON, U.K.: Prince William plans to sell portions of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade to help finance more than £500 million...
PARIS, France: The head of the International Energy Agency warned on May 18 that commercial oil inventories are being depleted quickly...
TEHRAN, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Iran has handed over its newest 14-point proposed plan for ending the war with the United States to mediator...
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Divers in the Maldives searched on May 16 for four Italian divers who are believed to have died inside an underwater...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cuba's Raul Castro may be indicted by the United States, a U.S. Department of Justice official said late on May...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: Unionized workers went on strike for the first time in three decades, bringing the Long Island Rail Road,...
(Photo credit: Matt Krohn-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins demoted slumping infielder Royce Lewis to Triple-A St. Paul on Tuesday....
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) In what could be another season-long battle to the finish line, a victory for the visiting...
(Photo credit: Gary A. Vasquez-Imagn Images) Zach Neto walloped a two-run homer with no outs in the ninth inning, giving the Los...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers homered and drove in four runs on Monday night to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Monday night series opener between the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego...
(Photo credit: Erik Williams-Imagn Images) The Houston Astros enter a new series with the same old question. When will the team's...
