Field Level Media
22 May 2026, 22:25 GMT+10
(Photo credit: Brian Snyder-Reuters via Imagn Images)
Due to an Ebola outbreak in their country, members of Congo's national soccer team must isolate before entering the U.S. for the World Cup.
Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed to ESPN on Friday that the Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where they currently are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry.
Congo is in Group K for this summer's World Cup in North America. Its first game is against Portugal on June 17 in Houston, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.
'We've been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,' Giuliani said, per ESPN. 'We've made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.'
All of Congo's team members, along with French head coach Sebastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country. Most play professionally in Europe, including defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka (West Ham United) and forward Yoane Wissa (Newcastle United) in England's Premier League and captain and defender Chancel Mbemba (Lille) in France's Ligue 1.
Giuliani said the U.S. isn't taking any chances when it comes to health and safety issues surrounding the World Cup.
'We want to make sure that there is nothing that's going to come in or near our borders here on this,' he said.
Earlier this month, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare form of Ebola called Bundibugyo. More than 130 people have died among the nearly 600 suspected cases.
Congo canceled its training camp in the capital city of Kinshasa amid the outbreak and relocated to Belgium, where the team has a friendly scheduled against Denmark in Liege on June 3. Congo also has a friendly scheduled against Chile in southern Spain on June 9.
--Field Level Media
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationGENEVA, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said on May 20 that the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
BEIJING, China: A week after President Xi Jinping hosted Trump in Beijing, China and Russia, at a summit on May 20, condemned U.S....
MEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing...
LONDON, U.K.: Britain's second most senior diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has left his post, the British Foreign Office said...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images) Marlins right-hander Eury Perez will try to end his five-start losing streak when...
(Photo credit: Isaiah J. Downing-Imagn Images) The visiting Los Angeles Dodgers will turn to left-hander Justin Wrobleski to slow...
(Photo credit: Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images) After both teams banked series wins earlier this week, the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota...
(Photo credit: Brett Davis-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs hope a day off at home will allow them to reset mentally before they host...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Carlos Rodon was pitching with loose bodies in his left elbow when he struggled in Game 3...
