RT.com
23 May 2026, 05:30 GMT+10
The US president said he must remain at the White House due to circumstances pertaining to Government
US President Donald Trump has abruptly canceled plans to attend his son Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding this weekend, saying he must remain in Washington as his administration reportedly prepares for possible new strikes on Iran.
The Trump administration was preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, but no final decision had been made, CBS News reported on Friday, citing sources with direct knowledge of the planning.
Axios reported that Trump convened his senior national security team on Friday morning to discuss Iran, including the state of negotiations and possible scenarios if talks collapse. Vice President J.D. Vance, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, and other officials reportedly attended the meeting.
"I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time," Trump wrote on Truth Social, adding that he wanted to be with his son Don Jr. and his soon-to-be wife, but that unspecified "circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so."
Trump had hinted at the reason on Thursday, telling reporters that the wedding was "not good timing" because of "a thing called Iran and other things."
The White House has changed Trump's weekend schedule as Washington awaits Tehran's response to what CBS described as the "final" US proposal to end the nearly three-month war. The offer was reportedly transmitted to Iran on Wednesday with a warning that rejecting it would mean the resumption of strikes.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said before flying to India that the US expected to receive Iran's response through Pakistan, which has acted as an intermediary. Axios reported that Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir traveled to Tehran on Friday, while a Qatari delegation also arrived to support the mediation effort.
Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with the negotiations in recent days and, according to Axios, has raised the possibility of a final "decisive" major military operation, after which he could declare victory and end the war.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned this week that any renewed US or Israeli attacks could widen the conflict beyond the Middle East, promising "crushing blows" in places Washington and West Jerusalem "cannot even imagine."
Iran's Foreign Ministry said on Friday that talks were ongoing but that a deal was not close. A source close to Tehran's negotiating team told Tasnim that the current focus remained on ending the war and that no other issue would be negotiated until that was achieved.
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationGENEVA, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said on May 20 that the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
BEIJING, China: A week after President Xi Jinping hosted Trump in Beijing, China and Russia, at a summit on May 20, condemned U.S....
MEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing...
LONDON, U.K.: Britain's second most senior diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has left his post, the British Foreign Office said...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Patrick Oehler/Poughkeepsie Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Former Cy Young Award-winner Gerrit Cole...
(Photo credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images) Marlins right-hander Eury Perez will try to end his five-start losing streak when...
(Photo credit: Isaiah J. Downing-Imagn Images) The visiting Los Angeles Dodgers will turn to left-hander Justin Wrobleski to slow...
(Photo credit: Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images) After both teams banked series wins earlier this week, the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota...
(Photo credit: Brett Davis-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs hope a day off at home will allow them to reset mentally before they host...
