RT.com
23 May 2026, 14:57 GMT+10
The Orban-era ban on Ukrainian food imports was introduced in 2023 to protect Hungarian farmers from cheap Ukrainian imports flooding the markets
Hungary has restored a ban on Ukrainian food imports after the new government "accidentally" allowed the restrictions to lapse.
The ban, covering around 20 categories of agricultural goods, was introduced in 2023 after former Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government declared an emergency over the economic fallout of the Ukraine conflict.
Budapest argued that cheap Ukrainian imports flooded EU border markets after Brussels lifted tariffs, undercutting Hungarian farmers and destabilizing the agriculture sector.
While transit shipments were allowed, imports for the Hungarian market were restricted, and the ban stayed in place even after the EU replaced its temporary tariff-free regime with a trade pact last year.
However, shortly after incoming PM Peter Magyar's Tisza party defeated Orban's Fidesz in the recent election, the new government ended the state of emergency, automatically causing the trade restrictions tied to it to expire.
Following pressure from the main Hungarian farmers' association and reports that several grain shipments already crossed the border, Budapest scrambled to restore the restrictions. On Friday, the government issued a decree reinstating the ban, followed by a post on X from Magyarconfirmingthat Hungary "bans the import of agricultural products from Ukraine."
"The sanctions were canceled due to a legislative error," a government spokesperson told Euractiv, claiming lawmakers were reviewing nearly 1,000 decrees inherited from the previous government and the import ban was "accidentally not taken into account."
Agriculture Minister Szabolcs Bona described the lapse as a "serious legislative trap for Hungarian farmers," and pledged that the government "will not allow Ukrainian or any other imported product to endanger the livelihood of Hungarian farmers."
Poland and Slovakia also maintain restrictions on Ukrainian agricultural imports introduced alongside Hungary, despite opposition from Brussels.
The European Commission has argued that the bans are illegal because trade policy falls under EU authority, and last yearreportedlyconsidered legal action against the countries, though none has followed. Karin Karlsbro, the European Parliament's rapporteur on EU-Ukraine trade, told Euractiv she "deeply regrets" Hungary's decision to maintain the "illegal import ban."
Kiev has not yet commented. Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky has repeatedly criticized the bans.
While Magyar campaigned on closer ties with the EU, several moves suggest continuity with Orban. Magyar has opposed fast-tracking Ukraine's EU membership and kept Hungary out of the bloc's latest Ukraine funding initiative.
READ MORE: Where will Magyar take Hungary?
However, he signaled that the EU's new Ukraine aid package would not beblockedand softened the government's tone on social issues by appointing Judit Lannert - which the media has called Hungary's "first LGBT activist" - as education minister.
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBLIN, Ireland: Hundreds of people gathered outside Ireland's parliament on May 21 to protest the death of a Congolese-born man, which...
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands: Europe could face a serious gas shortage if shipping disruptions through the Strait of Hormuz continue for...
GENEVA, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said on May 20 that the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
BEIJING, China: A week after President Xi Jinping hosted Trump in Beijing, China and Russia, at a summit on May 20, condemned U.S....
MEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images) Gerrit Cole pitched six strong innings during his return from reconstructive elbow surgery,...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy is expected to miss a few games after being...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) William Contreras set the tone with an early three-run homer and Logan Henderson tossed...
(Photo credit: Patrick Oehler/Poughkeepsie Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Former Cy Young Award-winner Gerrit Cole...
(Photo credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images) Marlins right-hander Eury Perez will try to end his five-start losing streak when...
