Xinhua
23 May 2026, 18:46 GMT+10
JIUQUAN, May 23 (Xinhua) -- The Shenzhou-23 crewed spaceship, set for launch on Sunday, has been adaptively improved with enhanced porthole protection against space debris, boosting its resilience to such threats, the China Manned Space Agency announced at a press conference on Saturday.
The improvement was made after the Shenzhou-20 spaceship's return capsule viewport window suffered a suspected impact from space debris during its mission.
According to Zhang Jingbo, spokesperson of the agency, China's first-ever emergency launch mission in its manned space program history, carried out late last year, was completed within just 20 days, offering valuable practical experience for future missions.
The three Shenzhou-20 astronauts returned safely aboard the Shenzhou-21 spacecraft on Nov. 14, 2025. On Nov. 25, China launched the Shenzhou-22 spaceship to provide a return vessel for the three Shenzhou-21 astronauts, who are currently in orbit.
The return capsule of the Shenzhou-20 spaceship, carrying no astronauts, touched down safely at a landing site in north China on Jan. 19 this year.
Zhang said this mission fully validated the "rolling backup" strategy, with one combination of a spaceship and rocket assigned for launch and another combination designated as backup for each mission.
Facing unexpected contingencies, resources were quickly mobilized, crew return and emergency launch plans formulated, and the astronauts successfully brought back while the backup spaceship docked with the space station, proving the strategy's effectiveness for long-term space station operations and offering a model for international emergency response, Zhang said.
The mission also provided a deeper understanding of space debris risks and orbital protection requirements, Zhang added.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBLIN, Ireland: Hundreds of people gathered outside Ireland's parliament on May 21 to protest the death of a Congolese-born man, which...
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands: Europe could face a serious gas shortage if shipping disruptions through the Strait of Hormuz continue for...
GENEVA, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said on May 20 that the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo likely...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
BEIJING, China: A week after President Xi Jinping hosted Trump in Beijing, China and Russia, at a summit on May 20, condemned U.S....
MEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
NEW YORK CITY, New York: U.S. President Donald Trump disclosed more than 3,600 stock trades during the first quarter of 2026, revealing...
(Photo credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images) Gerrit Cole pitched six strong innings during his return from reconstructive elbow surgery,...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy is expected to miss a few games after being...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) William Contreras set the tone with an early three-run homer and Logan Henderson tossed...
(Photo credit: Patrick Oehler/Poughkeepsie Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Former Cy Young Award-winner Gerrit Cole...
(Photo credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images) Marlins right-hander Eury Perez will try to end his five-start losing streak when...
