ANI
17 Aug 2026, 04:27 GMT+10
Washington, DC [US], August 17 (ANI): US President Donald Trump has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to 'substantially reduce' joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and describing the drills as costly and inappropriate.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he was 'not happy' that the United States had previously agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea.
'Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,' Trump said.
Trump described the exercises as costly and said they send a signal that is 'totally inappropriate and hostile' to North Korea, which he claimed has been 'unthreatening and respectful' during his presidency.
He said it was too late to cancel the exercises altogether but instructed Hegseth to substantially reduce them.
'Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!' Trump said.
Trump also referred to a recent conversation with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, saying he had asked whether South Korea would join the United States in the 'Denuclearisation of the Islamic Republic of Iran', but claimed Seoul had declined.
Trump's remarks came against the backdrop of North Korea's criticism of the upcoming US-South Korea military exercises, saying the drills would heighten tensions on the Korean Peninsula, Al Jazeera reported.
North Korea has routinely criticised US-South Korea military exercises, describing them as provocations.
The joint military drills, named 'Ulchi Freedom Shield', are scheduled to begin on August 17 and continue until August 27. The exercises will include training to counter drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks as the US and its allies seek to adapt to North Korea's evolving military capabilities. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationJAKARTA: At least 53 people were killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake, and dozens of aftershocks struck off eastern Indonesia on...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Taoiseach Micheál Martin has been urged to step in and ensure there is full transparency about a recommendation to...
OAMISHIROSATO, Japan: Record-breaking rainfall in Japan caused severe flooding around Tokyo on August 14, leaving thousands of travelers...
LONDON/PANAMA CITY: Transit through the Strait of Hormuz appeared to have almost come to a standstill on August 14 after two more ships...
CLACTON-ON-SEA, U.K.: Reform UK leader Nigel Farage won the by-election in Clacton on August 14, but the result also exposed weaknesses...
PARIS, France: France's Constitutional Council blocked a proposed ban on social media access for children under 15 on August 14, ruling...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) The Chicago Bears have taken tackle Ozzy Trapilo off the physically unable to perform...
(Photo credit: Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images) The Browns are expected to sign three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius Smith, Cleveland.com...
(Photo credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images) Tarik Skubal might still be looking for his favorite coffee shop in Los Angeles, but the Dodgers'...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) The Cleveland Guardians will look to build on one of their most complete victories of the...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) Joshua Baez became the first player in major league history to hit three home runs...
(Photo credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski went six strong innings, Joey Ortiz and William Contreras hit home runs...
