ANI
17 Aug 2026, 13:00 GMT+10
Seoul [South Korea], August 17 (ANI): South Korea and the United States must address unresolved matters concerning a USD 200 billion investment initiative established during their bilateral tariff discussions, South Korean Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan stated.
Kim Jung-kwan shared these remarks upon landing in Dallas, Texas, on Sunday (local time) as Seoul navigates ongoing tariff demands from Washington alongside several pending bilateral trade disputes, Yonhap news agency reported.
Under a trade agreement reached last year, South Korea committed to investing USD 350 billion in the US, a move that reduced the US tariff on South Korean goods from 25 per cent to 15 per cent.
From the total USD 350 billion, USD 150 billion was designated for joint efforts in the shipbuilding industry, while both nations continue to negotiate the specifics for executing the remaining USD 200 billion investment.
'We had previously said we were considering announcing the projects around the end of August or early September, but as we approach the final stage, various specific issues are emerging at the working level,' Kim informed reporters, according to Yonhap news agency.
When questioned about the possibility of unveiling the investment projects by late August, Kim indicated that negotiators were finalising the details with that timeline as their primary objective.
'Various issues are emerging, more than we had anticipated,' Kim said, as quoted by Yonhap. 'Please understand that I came here with the goal of resolving them somehow so that we can meet the end-of-August target.'
The minister's visit occurred just two days after the dismissal of Yeo Han-koo, South Korea's chief trade negotiator, amid escalating trade pressure on Seoul from the US administration.
Previously, the ministry noted that the US government is anticipated to declare the findings of its probe into suspected overproduction under Section 301 of the Trade Act by the close of this month.
During the previous month, Washington declared an additional tier of tariffs on goods from 60 trading partners, varying between 10 per cent and 12.5 per cent, stemming from a forced labour investigation under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.
Under this updated framework, South Korea faces a 12.5 per cent tariff, alongside Japan and Switzerland.
Apart from the forced labour inquiry, the US administration is concurrently scrutinising 16 economies, including South Korea, concerning alleged excess industrial capacity under the identical trade legislation. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
JAKARTA: At least 53 people were killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake, and dozens of aftershocks struck off eastern Indonesia on...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Taoiseach Micheál Martin has been urged to step in and ensure there is full transparency about a recommendation to...
OAMISHIROSATO, Japan: Record-breaking rainfall in Japan caused severe flooding around Tokyo on August 14, leaving thousands of travelers...
LONDON/PANAMA CITY: Transit through the Strait of Hormuz appeared to have almost come to a standstill on August 14 after two more ships...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: William Navarro-Imagn Images) Noah Cameron tossed a one-hitter and Michael Massey and Bobby Witt Jr. each homered...
(Photo credit: Brad Rempel-Imagn Images) Eight-time Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller is set to play his 15th NFL season back in his...
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers delivered a pair of RBI hits, Logan Henderson went seven strong innings and the...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) The Chicago Bears have taken tackle Ozzy Trapilo off the physically unable to perform...
(Photo credit: Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images) The Browns are expected to sign three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius Smith, Cleveland.com...
