RT.com
18 Aug 2026, 21:18 GMT+10
Senator Tim Kaine will table a new resolution to rein in the presidents powers after more than a dozen failed before
Congressional Democrats will introduce a war powers resolution prohibiting military action against Oman, after US President Donald Trump threatened to bomb the country for holding talks with Iran.
Speaking to Fox News on Monday, Trump warned that "if Oman gets in the way" of his efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz via a peace deal favorable to the US, he would "bomb the sh*t out of them." Trump was reacting to news that Oman and Iran were closing in on a deal to reopen the strait, which would reportedly involve shipping companies paying transit fees to Iran - a strategic loss for the US.
In a statement on Tuesday, US Senator Tim Kaine said that he will introduce a war powers resolution "prohibiting military action against Oman" when the Senate returns from summer recess next month.
"President Trump is increasingly deranged in his one-man campaign to threaten and initiate wars all over the globe," Kaine said. "His wars are illegal since they are not approved by Congress, but he keeps on despite the massive toll on our troops, their families, the pocketbooks of everyday Americans, our stock of munitions and our alliances around the globe."
Kaine added that he hopes to "find some Republican colleagues to join with Democrats and check this blindly stumbling power-drunk president from inflicting more damage on the US and the world."
Without support from a majority of Senators, war powers resolutions are largely symbolic. Democrats in both houses of Congress have filed more than a dozen such resolutions since the US began attacking Iran in February, with one passing the House in July. However, with Republicans holding a 53-47 majority in the Senate, only one war powers resolution - a non-binding and therefore toothless 'concurrent resolution' - has actually passed the upper house.
A memorandum of understanding signed by the US and Iran in June set a 60-day window to bring the conflict to an end and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. With talks deadlocked, the memorandum expired on Monday. Trump has since ruled out any extension to the present ceasefire, telling reporters on Monday evening that he believes Iran is "not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary."
A senior Iranian official told Reuters that Iran is prepared "to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region" if diplomacy fails, and to launch "timely and precise strikes" to break the US naval blockade on Iranian ports if necessary.
A post on X by Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi, August 18, 2026
After suggesting that he may declare "the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the US" last week, Trump posted a map of the Persian Gulf with the strait labeled "new US territory" on Tuesday. "Just as Trump correctly wrote the name of the eternal Persian Gulf, soon his delusion regarding the Strait of Hormuz will either be corrected or we will correct the delusions of this deluded man," Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi replied.
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationNAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
JAKARTA: At least 53 people were killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake, and dozens of aftershocks struck off eastern Indonesia on...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Dan Powers / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) The Atlanta Falcons signed three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius...
(Photo credit: Kiyoshi Mio-Imagn Images) The Los Angeles Dodgers bounced back from a tough weekend to rout the Colorado Rockies in...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) It took more than four months of this season, but the run-prevention defense that...
(Photo credit: Jordan Johnson-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins' newly appointed leadoff hitter is feeling right at home in his important...
