ANI
18 Aug 2026, 22:32 GMT+10
Sydney [Australia], August 18 (ANI): Former Australia cricketer David Warner has been fined A$1,500 and ordered to use an alcohol interlock device on his car for 12 months after being convicted of mid-range drink driving by a Sydney court on Tuesday, reported Sky Sports.
Warner, 39, pleaded guilty last month after being arrested on Easter Sunday following a random breath test on the outskirts of Sydney. He recorded a blood-alcohol reading of 0.104, more than twice the legal limit, after driving from a friend's apartment.
The Waverley Local Court heard that Warner had consumed three glasses of white wine before getting behind the wheel. He stopped his vehicle after spotting the roadside breath-testing operation and attempted to swap seats with a female passenger.
While handing down the sentence, Judge Clare Farnan acknowledged that Warner was unlikely to repeat the offence but stressed the broader consequences of drink driving.
'I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to re-offend,' Farnan said, as per Sky Sports. '(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in New South Wales.'
The former Australia opener was also ordered to have an alcohol interlock device installed in his vehicle. The device prevents a car from starting if it detects alcohol in the driver's system.
Warner's lawyer had argued before sentencing that his client had already faced additional punishment through extensive media coverage and should be spared a conviction.
Warner did not comment as he left the court, where he was met by a large media contingent.
The former cricketer retired from international cricket in 2024 after a career that included 112 Tests and more than 250 appearances across limited-overs formats for Australia. He has since continued his involvement in cricket through commentary and franchise cricket.
Warner currently serves as captain of Sydney Thunder in Australia's Big Bash League and Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League.
The incident could also have implications for his position with Sydney Thunder. The franchise is part of a New South Wales government campaign promoting safe driving, while Cricket NSW is yet to announce any decision regarding Warner's long-term role as Thunder captain.
'Our organisation is a strong advocate of safe driving, including avoiding drink driving,' Cricket NSW said in a statement, as per Sky Sports. 'We continue to take this incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving.' (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationOTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Dan Powers / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) The Atlanta Falcons signed three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius...
(Photo credit: Kiyoshi Mio-Imagn Images) The Los Angeles Dodgers bounced back from a tough weekend to rout the Colorado Rockies in...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) It took more than four months of this season, but the run-prevention defense that...
(Photo credit: Jordan Johnson-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins' newly appointed leadoff hitter is feeling right at home in his important...
