ANI
18 Aug 2026, 23:01 GMT+10
Shimla (Himachal Pradesh) [India], August 18 (ANI): Himachal Pradesh PWD Minister Vikramaditya Singh on Tuesday said that the state has suffered more than 700 crore in losses to the Public Works Department (PWD) due to the ongoing monsoon, with around 138 roads currently closed across the state.
Speaking to the media in Shimla and later to ANI, Singh said the government was continuously monitoring the monsoon situation and had directed officials to immediately restore road connectivity wherever roads were blocked.
'We are continuously monitoring the monsoon season in the state and taking day-to-day updates. Wherever roads are getting blocked, instructions have already been issued for their immediate opening. Whenever we receive information about a road closure, prompt action is taken,' Singh said.
He said rain had damaged several roads across the state, with some stretches sinking, portions being washed away and bridges and bridge approaches damaged. Singh said the damage was substantial but comparatively less than the large-scale destruction witnessed in some previous years.
'We are making every effort to strengthen our ground presence. At several places, machinery has to be deployed, while in some cases bridges get washed away and have to be restored on an emergency basis,' he said.
The PWD has deployed around 535 machines across the state for restoration and maintenance work, Singh said. He said the government was particularly focused on maintaining connectivity in rural and apple-growing areas as the apple season had begun.
'Our effort is to ensure that there is no difficulty for people, particularly farmers in remote areas, and that their produce reaches the markets on time,' the minister said.
Singh also acknowledged that the department was behind schedule in implementing its Annual Maintenance Plan (AMP). 'I have said this earlier, and I accept it publicly that we are somewhat behind our targets under the Annual Maintenance Plan,' he said.
According to Singh, the PWD had set a target of around 35 to 40 km of maintenance work for every Assembly constituency and division.
He attributed the delay largely to the increase in crude oil and bitumen prices following international developments, saying contractors had been reluctant to undertake works at the earlier approved rates. Singh said the government had agreed in principle to bear the additional burden arising from the escalation in bitumen costs.
The minister said the delayed maintenance work would be taken up more aggressively after the monsoon, with the government targeting around 30 to 35 km of AMP work in every Assembly constituency.
'Work that should have been undertaken in March and April has been delayed and will now be taken up during September and October after the monsoon,' he said.
Singh said two important national highway stretches had recently changed their maintenance arrangements following decisions by the Centre. He said the Pathankot-Chamba highway, which was earlier maintained through the state's NH wing, had now been brought under the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). Similarly, the highway stretch from Dhalli to Rampur and onwards towards Kinnaur has also been transferred for maintenance to NHAI, he said.
Singh said the four-laning of the Dhalli-Rampur-Kinnaur route had received approval, and the process was now being initiated. 'This is a very important road, particularly for Shimla district. It connects Kumarsain, Rampur, Kinnaur and adjoining areas. Our effort will be to maximise the construction of tunnels in the project,' he said.
Singh said around 2,300 crore had recently been received for various road and infrastructure works, and he had reviewed their progress on Tuesday. He said there were a total of 294 works, most of which had already been awarded.
However, some projects have been held up because contractors have approached the High Court and the Supreme Court challenging a condition imposed by the state government. Singh said the government had decided that no contractor would be allotted more than seven works.
'We have seen in many places that contractors take 10 to 15 works and subsequently subcontract them. As a result, the works are not completed within the stipulated time,' he said.
He said the government was not targeting any individual contractor but had introduced the condition to improve implementation and ensure timely completion of projects.
The minister said the department had directed the PWD Secretary and Engineer-in-Chief to ensure that the government's position was effectively presented before the High Court at the next hearing. He said the government would seek early resolution of the litigation and cancellation of interim relief wherever appropriate so that the stalled projects could resume. Singh said around 17 works had been affected by the litigation, with several of them located in the Rohru and Jubbal-Kotkhai Assembly constituencies of Shimla district. Around five matters relating to Dalhousie are pending before the Supreme Court, he said.
Singh said the government wanted the legal issues to be resolved quickly so that the projects could be started and completed within the stipulated time.
'The priority is to ensure that the works start on time and are completed on time. This is important for both Chamba and Shimla districts,' he said.
The minister said the state had also received central support for other road projects and that instructions had been issued to the department to complete all formalities at the earliest and award the works.
He said the Shaila-Yashwant Nagar-Fagu road was particularly important for Shimla district.
'All procedures should be completed immediately so that work on this road can start within the next month after the monsoon. This will provide relief to our farmers,' Singh said.
He added that the government was working to ensure that road connectivity was restored and maintained in time to support the rural economy and the ongoing apple season. Singh also commented on the BJP's newly announced national office-bearers, saying it was an internal matter of the opposition party but that Himachal Pradesh should ideally have received representation.
He said the state had several experienced leaders, including former chief ministers and senior party figures, and expressed surprise that no Himachal leader had been included in the new team announced by BJP national president Nitin Nabin.
'This is an internal matter of the BJP, but it would have been a matter of happiness for us if Himachal had received representation,' Singh said.
He said the state had a strong political leadership and that there was no shortage of experienced leaders who could have been considered.
On a matter involving former minister Kishan Kapoor, Singh said he did not want to comment in detail, as the matter was under inquiry by the Vigilance authorities.
'It is a matter of inquiry by the Vigilance. I would not like to comment much on it. The concerned person can present his position there. Ultimately, there is a legal process and a Vigilance process, and action will be taken according to that,' he said.
Singh also defended senior Congress leader Kuldeep Singh Rathore, saying he was a senior and influential leader who had contributed significantly to strengthening the Congress organisation in Himachal Pradesh.
He said Rathore had travelled through student politics, NSUI and Youth Congress before serving as state Congress president and had devoted several decades to the party. 'He is a leader of all of us and a strong leader. His contribution to strengthening the Congress organisation cannot be ignored,' Singh said.
He stressed that leadership should not be judged only through electoral politics, adding that organisational work was equally important.
He credited Rathore with helping strengthen the Congress during its years in opposition and said his organisational contribution had played a role in bringing the party back to power in the state.
'Leadership is not created only by entering electoral politics. An organisational leader has his own role, responsibility and accountability,' Singh added. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationOTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Dan Powers / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) The Atlanta Falcons signed three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius...
(Photo credit: Kiyoshi Mio-Imagn Images) The Los Angeles Dodgers bounced back from a tough weekend to rout the Colorado Rockies in...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) It took more than four months of this season, but the run-prevention defense that...
(Photo credit: Jordan Johnson-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins' newly appointed leadoff hitter is feeling right at home in his important...
