ANI
19 Aug 2026, 07:28 GMT+10
Washington DC [US], August 19 (ANI): The Donald Trump administration has designated two officials of the International Criminal Court (ICC), including its President Tomoko Akane and ICC Senior Trial Lawyer Aboudoulaye Seye, under sanctions, accusing the global tribunal of abusing its authority and threatening national sovereignty.
In a press statement issued by Marco Rubio, Secretary of State, on Tuesday, the US administration said the action was taken as part of its campaign against what it described as the 'politicised' and 'unaccountable' nature of the ICC.
'The Trump Administration has been clear: the International Criminal Court (ICC) is a corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate. We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty,' the statement said.
The administration said the sanctions were imposed under Executive Order 14203, titled 'Imposing Sanctions on the International Criminal Court.'
'These individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction,' it said.
The US further alleged that the ICC has repeatedly attempted to exercise authority over nationals of the United States and other countries that have neither accepted its jurisdiction nor ratified the Rome Statute.
'This sets a dangerous precedent for all nations,' the statement added.
The Trump administration said it plans to continue its diplomatic campaign against the ICC and urged other countries to join efforts aimed at reducing support for the court.
'Our whole-of-government campaign to dismantle the threat posed by the ICC to national sovereignty will be sweeping, and we expect more countries to join our campaign by ending their funding and participation in this politicised and unaccountable court,' the statement said.
It further warned that additional measures could be taken against the ICC.
'The ICC's ability to target American nationals and those of other non-States Parties must end. The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty,' the statement said.
'These individuals are being designated pursuant to section 1(a)(ii)(A) of Executive Order (E.O.) 14203,' the statement added. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationOTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Struggling mightily since coming off the injured list late last month, Los Angeles...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Struggling mightily since coming off the injured list late last month, Los Angeles...
(Photo credit: Andrew Dieb-Imagn Images) The Texas Rangers on Tuesday activated catcher Danny Jansen, who had missed the last 64...
(Photo credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images) The Atlanta Braves recalled right-hander AJ Smith-Shawver from Triple-A Gwinnett...
