ANI
19 Aug 2026, 14:00 GMT+10
Madrid [Spain], August 19 (ANI): Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho finally opened the lid over failed deal to acquire Rodri, who signed with club's arch-rivals Barcelona on Tuesday.
Barcelona FC on Tuesday announced the signing of Spain midfielder Rodrigo Hernandez Cascante, popularly known as Rodri, from Manchester City, with the 2024 Ballon d'Or winner agreeing to a contract with the Catalan club until the summer of 2030. The 30-year-old joins Barcelona after six seasons at Manchester City, where he established himself as one of the world's best defensive midfielders under then-manager Pep Guardiola.
The veteran manager revealed that Real Madrid, who was also in pursuit of Spain's FIFA World Cup 'Player of the Tournament', had a massive deal on the table for Rodri, but his hesitation ultimately proved to be a deal-breaker.
'I spoke to him a couple of times and Real Madrid made him a very good offer,' Mourinho said to El Chiringuito as quoted by Goal.com. 'I think there is a very good relationship with City. Without negotiating with City, the club made contact with Rodri, they made him a major offer. Rodri had doubts, he hesitated and Rodri's doubts created doubts for me,' he added.
Continuing, Mourinho called the Spainard an 'extraordinary' player and said that he was respectful with the club.
'Nothing negative to say, but Real Madrid is of a dimension that cannot have players who second-guess themselves, you make contact and the player asks you: When do I have to go? That is somewhat the concept, but he was very respectful with us. I wish him well... not too well, obviously... but I wish him well,' he added.
Despite missing out on the 2026 World Cup Golden Ball winner and one-time Ballon d'Or winner, Mourinho dismissed any regrets, asserting that the team does not 'lack Rodri'. He also feels that the squad is right and can be trusted and developed.
'I am not lacking Rodri,' Mourinho stated. 'We are not lacking players. I am not saying there won't be any more signings because the market is open, but if you ask me directly if it is closed for me... yes. It is closed. I really like the squad,' he signed off.
Rodri's move to Barcelona comes after a period disrupted by injuries, which kept him sidelined for most of the club competitions last season. He recently underwent minor back surgery and had previously spent more than seven months out after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury in 2024. He also dealt with knee and hamstring problems last season. Despite those setbacks, Rodri remains one of the most decorated midfielders in world football. Since joining Manchester City from Atletico Madrid in 2019, he helped the club win four Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the UEFA Champions League in 2023.
Rodri scored the decisive goal in the Champions League final against Inter Milan in 2023, securing City's first European title and leading to a European Treble for the blue side of Manchester. His individual achievements have also been significant.
Rodri was named the Ballon d'Or winner in 2024 after playing a key role in Spain's Euro 2024 triumph, where he was named the 'Player of the Tournament'.
More recently, he was part of Spain's World Cup-winning campaign and was named the tournament's best player, further enhancing his credentials on the international stage. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationOTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, on August 15, called for renewed talks with North Korea, saying dialogue...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Christian Yelich, David Hamilton, Jake Bauers and Luis Lara hit home runs for the host...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Christian Yelich, David Hamilton, Jake Bauers and Luis Lara hit home runs for the host...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Struggling mightily since coming off the injured list late last month, Los Angeles...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Struggling mightily since coming off the injured list late last month, Los Angeles...
