Mohan Sinha
16 Feb 2026, 15:25 GMT+10
LONDON, U.K.: Rejecting an attempt by the British Broadcasting Corporation to delay proceedings, a U.S. judge announced on February 11 that President Donald Trump can proceed with his trial in the US$10 billion lawsuit against Britain's national broadcaster in 2027.
Judge Roy K. Altman of the federal court for the Southern District of Florida set a provisional start date of February 15, 2027, for a two-week trial.
Donald Trump sued the BBC in December, saying it wrongly edited a speech he gave on January 6, 2021. He is asking for $5 billion for defamation and another $5 billion for unfair business practices.
The speech happened shortly before some of Trump's supporters stormed the United States Capitol while Congress was preparing to confirm Joe Biden as the winner of the 2020 election, which Trump had falsely claimed was stolen.
The BBC aired a documentary called "Trump: A Second Chance?" just days before the 2024 U.S. presidential election. In the program, editors combined three short quotes from two different parts of Trump's 2021 speech, delivered nearly an hour apart, and presented them as a single quote in which he told supporters to march with him and "fight like hell." The edit removed a section in which he said he wanted people to protest peacefully.
The BBC later apologized for the edit but denied that it defamed Trump. The controversy led to the resignations of the broadcaster's top executive and its head of news.
Court papers filed last month said the BBC plans to ask the court to dismiss the case, arguing that the court lacks jurisdiction because the program was not shown in Florida and that Trump's lawsuit does not present a valid legal claim.
Before filing that request, the BBC asked the judge to delay the evidence-sharing stage of the case, which could require it to hand over many emails and internal documents related to its Trump coverage.
The judge refused, saying it was too early in the legal process to pause discovery. The BBC responded that it will fight the lawsuit but will not comment further while the case is ongoing.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationLONDON, U.K.: Rejecting an attempt by the British Broadcasting Corporation to delay proceedings, a U.S. judge announced on February...
SEATTLE, Washington: The city of Seattle paid US$29 million to the family of a 23-year-old graduate student from India, who was struck...
SEOUL, South Korea: The teenage daughter of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is close to being designated as the country's future leader,...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: The Internal Revenue Service mistakenly shared the taxpayer information of thousands of people with the Department...
BOSTON, Massachusetts: A Turkish graduate student from Tufts University, whose immigration officials detained near her Massachusetts...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: After the White House excluded Democratic governors from a meeting with President Donald Trump later this month,...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: After the White House excluded Democratic governors from a meeting with President Donald Trump later this month,...
(Photo credit: Jeff Hanisch-Imagn Images) Giannis Antetokounmpo is once again a committed Milwaukee Buck. For now. 'As of today,...
(Photo credit: Jovanny Hernandez / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Tessa Johnson scored a season-high...
(Photo credit: William Liang-Imagn Images) INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Keshad Johnson of the Miami Heat has not started a game this season,...
(Photo credit: William Liang-Imagn Images) INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Damian Lillard has not played a minute on the court for the Portland...
(Photo credit: Jovanny Hernandez / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Azzi Fudd scored 25 points and...
