ANI
20 May 2026, 09:02 GMT+10
Washington DC [US], May 20 (ANI): The Pentagon on Tuesday (local time) announced a reduction in the number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) stationed in Europe, lowering the total from four to three and effectively returning US troop levels on the continent to their 2021 posture.
In a post on X, Assistant to the Secretary of War for Public Affairs and Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell released a statement which said, the move followed ' a comprehensive, multilayered process focused on US force posture in Europe.'
https://x.com/SeanParnellASW/status/2056861501172969833
'The Department of War has reduced the total number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) assigned to Europe from four to three. This returns us to the levels of BCTs in Europe in 2021,' the official statement said.
The statement added that the decision has resulted in 'a temporary delay of the deployment of US forces to Poland,' while emphasising that Poland remains 'a model US ally.'
According to Fox News, the affected formation is the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, which had been scheduled for a routine nine-month NATO rotational deployment to Poland and other eastern flank positions.
Fox News further reported that approximately 10,000 American troops are typically stationed in Poland, the majority on rotational deployments lasting several months. Because the US military footprint in Poland relies heavily on these rotations, the delayed deployment has reportedly generated concern among Polish officials.
The statement further added that future decisions regarding US troop deployments in Europe would depend on 'further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements' as well as ' our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense.'
It said that the review is intended to advance US President Donald Trump's ' America First agenda in Europe and other theaters,' whiile encouraging NATO allies to ' take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense.'
The Pentagon also confirmed that US War Secretary Pete Hegseth held talks with the Polish Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz regarding the issue.
'The Department will remain in close contact with our Polish counterparts as this analysis proceeds, including to ensure that the United States retains a strong military presence in Poland,' the statement said, adding that ' Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself. Other NATO allies should follow suit.'
According to Fox News, Polish Deputy Defense Minister Pawel Zalewski said Warsaw intends to seek clarification from US officials during upcoming meetings in Washington.
'We will ask questions and I guess that we will get answers,' Zalewski told Fox News Digital ahead of discussions with Pentagon officials and members of Congress.
Despite concerns over the delayed deployment, Polish officials have continued to emphasise their country as a 'model ally' within NATO and expressed confidence that military cooperation with the United States will continue to expand. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationLONDON/NEW YORK CITY: The war involving the United States, Israel and Iran has already cost companies around the world at least US$25...
LONDON, U.K.: Prince William plans to sell portions of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade to help finance more than £500 million...
PARIS, France: The head of the International Energy Agency warned on May 18 that commercial oil inventories are being depleted quickly...
TEHRAN, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Iran has handed over its newest 14-point proposed plan for ending the war with the United States to mediator...
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Divers in the Maldives searched on May 16 for four Italian divers who are believed to have died inside an underwater...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cuba's Raul Castro may be indicted by the United States, a U.S. Department of Justice official said late on May...
(Photo credit: Matt Marton-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski threw six shutout innings to lift the visiting Milwaukee Brewers to a...
(Photo credit: Kim Klement Neitzel-Imagn Images) The Chicago White Sox acquired left-hander Joe Rock in a trade with Tampa Bay on...
(Photo credit: Jack Gruber / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) The federal government is fighting Minnesota's decision to outlaw...
(Photo credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images) The Dallas Mavericks announced a mutual agreement to part ways with head coach Jason...
(Photo credit: Matt Krohn-Imagn Images) The Minnesota Twins demoted slumping infielder Royce Lewis to Triple-A St. Paul on Tuesday....
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) In what could be another season-long battle to the finish line, a victory for the visiting...
