Mohan Sinha
21 May 2026, 17:57 GMT+10
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing deep inside an underwater cave in a Maldives atoll last week.
The search restarted on May 18 after it was paused when a local military diver died during a risky mission to reach them.
The Maldives government said the bodies were spotted in the deepest part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, with support from police and the military. A government spokesman, Ahmed Shaam, said the bodies were found far inside the cave, in its third and largest section, and were located close together.
He added that the plan is to recover two bodies first, followed by the other two the next day.
Divers' Alert Network Europe sent the Finnish divers to continue the search. The group said they are highly experienced in deep and cave diving, including dangerous rescue missions. They used advanced equipment like closed-circuit rebreathers, which recycle air and allow divers to stay underwater much longer.
Earlier, the body of a fifth Italian diver, an instructor, was found outside the cave. The group had been exploring the cave at a depth of about 50 meters, which is deeper than the Maldives' usual recreational diving limit of 30 meters.
The Finnish experts arrived on May 17 to help with the search. Earlier, a Maldivian military diver died from decompression sickness after being taken to a hospital.
Bad weather made the rescue work more difficult. Initial search teams had already found and marked the cave entrance where the divers disappeared. The cause of the deaths is still being investigated.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationMEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing...
LONDON, U.K.: Britain's second most senior diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has left his post, the British Foreign Office said...
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysia's defense minister said on May 19 that the country has sent a notice to Norway asking for more than...
WASHINGTON/DUBAI: U.S. President Donald Trump said on May 19 that the United States might need to carry out another strike on Iran....
CARACAS, Venezuela: Ten days after the state confirmed to Carmen Navas that her son had died in state custody, the 82-year-old passed...
(Photo credit: Brett Davis-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs hope a day off at home will allow them to reset mentally before they host...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Carlos Rodon was pitching with loose bodies in his left elbow when he struggled in Game 3...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Shohei Ohtani homered on the first pitch Wednesday night and tossed five scoreless innings...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison finally is looking like...
