Field Level Media
22 May 2026, 01:55 GMT+10
(Photo credit: David Kirouac-Imagn Images)
Although Oscar Piastri has a long-term contract with McLaren Racing, Red Bull would pursue the 25-year-old driver if four-time champion Max Verstappen departs at the end of this season, Autosport reported earlier this month.
That a team would have interest in Piastri, who is in his fourth F1 season, came as no surprise to McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.
'I would imagine there's not a team on the grid that wouldn't want to have Oscar and Lando (Norris) driving for them,' Brown told The Athletic in a recent interview.
'My general view, contracts aside, (is) our job is to create an environment where our drivers don't want to drive anywhere else, or for that matter, our employees or our sponsors don't want to sponsor another team. ... I think there's a lot of talent inside McLaren that other racing teams would like to have.'
Since debuting in F1 with McLaren in 2023, Piastri has won nine grands prix as a key piece of the team's success. The Australian native did not make the start in the first two races of the season, but finished second in the Japanese Grand Prix after leading the opening stages.
'Yes, I think I am,' Piastri told The Athletic when asked if he felt he was in the right spot to win a world championship down the line.
'Last year, or even just through the years, I think the trust and the proof of how we can take a car, and almost a team in some ways, that has potential and actually realize that potential, is more than enough for me to see just what this team is capable of. ...
'We've got all of the pieces of the puzzle that we want and that we need, and now it's about trying to go out and execute and see how many championships we can win.'
--Field Level Media
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationMEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing...
LONDON, U.K.: Britain's second most senior diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has left his post, the British Foreign Office said...
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysia's defense minister said on May 19 that the country has sent a notice to Norway asking for more than...
WASHINGTON/DUBAI: U.S. President Donald Trump said on May 19 that the United States might need to carry out another strike on Iran....
CARACAS, Venezuela: Ten days after the state confirmed to Carmen Navas that her son had died in state custody, the 82-year-old passed...
(Photo credit: Brett Davis-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs hope a day off at home will allow them to reset mentally before they host...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Carlos Rodon was pitching with loose bodies in his left elbow when he struggled in Game 3...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Shohei Ohtani homered on the first pitch Wednesday night and tossed five scoreless innings...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison finally is looking like...
