ANI
22 May 2026, 02:04 GMT+10
Washington, DC [US], May 21 (ANI): US President Donald Trump on Thursday declared that Washington would eventually recover Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium, intensifying pressure on Tehran even as diplomatic efforts to end the conflict continue.
Speaking at the White House, Trump asserted that the United States would not allow Iran to retain near-weapons-grade nuclear material, which American officials believe was hidden underground following US and Israeli airstrikes nearly a year ago.
Underscoring Washington's determination to neutralise Tehran's nuclear capabilities, Trump told reporters, 'We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it. We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it.'
Iran is believed to possess around 900 pounds of highly enriched uranium, considered sufficient for potential weapons development if further refined. Retrieving or neutralising the stockpile remains a central objective of Trump's military and diplomatic strategy towards Tehran.
Amid highly volatile and fragile diplomatic engagements between Tehran and Washington, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has ordered that the stockpile of enriched uranium 'should not leave the country,' rejecting the US President Donald Trump's key demand in ongoing peace talks, Reuters reported, quoting two Iranian sources.
The dispute over Iran's nuclear programme has also expanded into growing tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most critical oil shipping routes.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned that any Iranian attempt to impose a tolling system on vessels passing through the Strait would make a diplomatic agreement impossible.
Condemning the proposed transit fees, Rubio said, 'No one in the world is in favour of the tolling system. It can't happen. It would be unacceptable,' further characterising the move as 'a threat to the world' and 'completely illegal.'
Trump also rejected the proposal, saying the US wanted the waterway to remain open and free for international navigation. Referring to the strategic channel, the US President stated, 'We want it free, we don't want tolls. It's international, it's an international waterway.'
The comments come as the US continues enforcing a naval blockade in the region. Trump claimed the blockade had been '100 per cent effective' and described it as a 'steel wall' preventing vessels from moving freely through the strategic corridor.
However, contesting Washington's claims of total control, Iran's Revolutionary Guard Navy stated that 31 ships had transited through the Strait of Hormuz during the past 24 hours, according to a report by the Tasnim news agency, underscoring the continuing contest over control and access in the Gulf.
Despite the escalating rhetoric, US officials indicated that negotiations with Tehran were still underway. Rubio said there had been 'some progress' in talks aimed at ending the US-Israeli war with Iran, although he cautioned against excessive optimism.
The US Secretary of State also noted a visit by Pakistan's army chief to Tehran in relation to ongoing diplomatic efforts, remarking, 'Hopefully that'll advance this further.'
The latest exchanges reflect the dual-track strategy pursued by Washington in recent months, maintaining military pressure on Iran while simultaneously attempting to secure a broader diplomatic settlement covering Tehran's nuclear programme, regional influence, and maritime activity. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationMEXICO CITY, Mexico: Mexico has frozen the bank accounts of some former officials accused by the United States of having links to the...
MALE, Maldives: Italy's Foreign Ministry said this week that rescuers have found the bodies of the four Italian divers who went missing...
LONDON, U.K.: Britain's second most senior diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has left his post, the British Foreign Office said...
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysia's defense minister said on May 19 that the country has sent a notice to Norway asking for more than...
WASHINGTON/DUBAI: U.S. President Donald Trump said on May 19 that the United States might need to carry out another strike on Iran....
CARACAS, Venezuela: Ten days after the state confirmed to Carmen Navas that her son had died in state custody, the 82-year-old passed...
(Photo credit: Brett Davis-Imagn Images) The Chicago Cubs hope a day off at home will allow them to reset mentally before they host...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Carlos Rodon was pitching with loose bodies in his left elbow when he struggled in Game 3...
(Photo credit: Denis Poroy-Imagn Images) Shohei Ohtani homered on the first pitch Wednesday night and tossed five scoreless innings...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: David Banks-Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Kyle Harrison finally is looking like...
