Mohan Sinha
19 Aug 2026, 23:27 GMT+10
DUBAI/DAMASCUS/ANKARA: The Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the conditions of an interim agreement signed with Iran in June, Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said in comments published by state media on August 18.
Qalibaf told parliament that the conditions include the United States ending its blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Iran's frozen assets and stopping threats and military operations on all fronts.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), agreed on June 17, quickly fell apart because of a dispute over control of the Strait of Hormuz. Before the war, the narrow waterway carried about one-fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on July 7 that the agreement was "over". A week later, Iran's foreign ministry said the agreement had been suspended.
Under the MoU, Iran and the United States had agreed to negotiate a final deal within a maximum of 60 days, unless both sides agreed to extend the period. The final agreement was expected to cover wider issues, including the future of Iran's nuclear program.
A senior Iranian official said a day earlier that Iran would now change its policy to a "fully offensive" approach because diplomatic efforts to reach a permanent end to the conflict had stalled.
Meanwhile, reports from Damascus said Israel bombed an airbase in Syria on August 18. Syrian state media reported that the strike appeared to be Israel's first attack on Syrian government assets since March. The attack also drew criticism from a U.S. envoy, who described it as an unnecessary escalation.
Syria's state-run Ekhbariya, citing a military source, reported that Israel carried out eight airstrikes on the runway and storage facilities at the Abu al-Duhur airbase. A separate military source and a civilian living near the base said there were no casualties.
The Israeli military did not comment on the reported strikes, while Syria's defense ministry did not respond to requests for comment.
U.S. Ambassador Tom Barrack, the special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq, said the United States was concerned about the attack.
"We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability," Barrack said on X.
He added that the United States believed restraint and engagement were the better way forward and urged all sides to use dialogue instead of further military action.
The Abu al-Duhur base is located about 70 km (43.5 miles) from the Turkish border. It has not operated as a dedicated military airfield since 2013 and changed hands several times during Syria's 14-year civil war. The conflict was fought between forces loyal to former President Bashar al-Assad and opposition groups.
Israel has repeatedly attacked Syrian forces since Assad was removed from power in 2024. Israel remains deeply suspicious of Syria's new rulers because of their Islamist militant background, although Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa has developed warm relations with Western countries.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/DAMASCUS/ANKARA: The Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the conditions of an interim agreement...
LONDON, U.K.: Russia warned Britain on August 18 that it could face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine that are being used...
OTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
MOSCOW, Russia: A Russian attack targeted port infrastructure in Ukraine's Izmail district in the southern Odesa region overnight,...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON, D.C.: Iran has decided to change its war policy from a defensive approach to a fully offensive one because efforts...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: David Frerker-Imagn Images) Free-agent left-hander Nestor Cortes has signed with the Philadelphia Phillies, multiple...
(Photo credit: Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Seattle Mariners manager Dan Wilson...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Christian Yelich, David Hamilton, Jake Bauers and Luis Lara hit home runs for the host...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Christian Yelich, David Hamilton, Jake Bauers and Luis Lara hit home runs for the host...
