Mohan Sinha
22 Aug 2026, 16:12 GMT+10
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab and members of her family in Gaza in 2024.
The military said it had now opened a criminal investigation, although rights groups said such investigations rarely result in convictions.
Hind Rajab's killing became one of the most widely reported cases of civilian deaths during Israel's military campaign in Gaza, which began after the Hamas-led attacks on southern Israel in 2023.
Hind was trapped inside the car for hours and used a mobile phone to beg Palestinian medics to send help. Her aunt, uncle and three cousins were already dead inside the vehicle.
An ambulance was sent to rescue her. However, shortly after it reached the area, contact was lost with both Hind and the ambulance workers. Twelve days later, the bodies of Hind, her relatives and two ambulance workers were found in the area.
The Israeli military had previously denied that its troops were operating in the area where Hind was killed. On August 19, however, it said a months-long investigation by its internal fact-finding body had found that troops fired at her vehicle as it approached them.
The military also said a shell was later fired at a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance that had been sent to rescue Hind.
"Following review of the findings and due to alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance, it has been decided to initiate a criminal investigation of the incident," the military said.
The military also said its Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism would begin a criminal investigation into the deaths of 15 emergency and aid workers in March 2025.
In three other cases, including the deaths of seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in April 2024, the military said it found no reason to open criminal investigations.
A film about Hind Rajab's death later won an award at the Venice Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award.
Hind's grandmother, speaking to Reuters from a camp for displaced people in Gaza City, said the family did not trust Israel's judicial system. She said the family hoped justice would come from the international community and appealed to the international justice system.
Israeli rights groups have said criminal investigations into Israeli troops over the deaths of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions.
Dan Owen, a researcher with the Yesh Din rights organization, said that over the past decade only a very small number of investigations had resulted in indictments. He also said increasing political pressure had made Israeli law-enforcement authorities even less likely to hold those responsible accountable, including in cases where clear evidence was available.
Israel's military says its attacks are aimed at Hamas and Hezbollah militants. It has opened investigations into some attacks involving the deaths of civilians, including medical workers, aid workers and journalists.
More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the Gaza war began in 2023. Thousands more have been killed during Israeli military operations in southern Lebanon. Those killed include aid workers, doctors, journalists and other civilians.
A Gaza ceasefire declared last October stopped major fighting in the Gaza Strip, but Israeli attacks have continued. Israel has said its continuing strikes are intended to prevent imminent attacks by Hamas and other militants in Gaza.
According to Gaza health authorities and the Israeli military, more than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed since the truce.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationJERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
DAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian security forces have arrested a former security officer from the Assad era who fled Austria after being sentenced...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
(Photo credit: Charles LeClaire-Imagn Images) Geno Smith made the most of his lone drive, completing all of his passes and throwing...
