ANI
22 Aug 2026, 16:33 GMT+10
Hong Kong, August 22 (ANI): Amnesty International has condemned the convictions of Hong Kong activists Chow Hang-tung and Lee Cheuk-yan, who were found guilty of 'inciting subversion of state power' under the city's National Security Law for their involvement in organising commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown.
According to an Amnesty International press release, the organisation said the verdict highlighted how Hong Kong's National Security Law was being used to punish people for peacefully remembering the victims of the June 4, 1989 crackdown.
Amnesty International Hong Kong Overseas spokesperson Fernando Cheung said the ruling represented another setback for efforts to preserve the memory of the Tiananmen events, noting that Hong Kong had historically been the only place on Chinese soil where large-scale public commemorations could take place.
Amnesty International Deputy Regional Director Sarah Brooks said Chow and Lee had been convicted for their roles in organising peaceful commemorations and called on Hong Kong authorities to overturn the convictions. She described both activists as 'prisoners of conscience' and urged their immediate and unconditional release.
The organisation said Chow and Lee were among seven members of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China who were charged under the National Security Law in September 2021. Both have remained in pre-trial detention after repeatedly being denied bail, according to the press release.
Amnesty International also alleged that the National Security Law, enacted in June 2020, has increasingly been used against civil society groups, journalists, political activists and academics.
The activists had organised commemorations of the June 4, 1989 crackdown, when Chinese troops opened fire on protesters in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square. Amnesty said hundreds, possibly thousands, were killed, while many others were arrested in the subsequent crackdown.
The annual Hong Kong vigil, traditionally held at Victoria Park, drew large crowds for decades. However, the major vigil was banned in 2020 and 2021, initially citing COVID-19 restrictions.
The Hong Kong Alliance's last major vigil was held in 2019. Chow and Lee, along with Albert Ho Chun-yan, who previously pleaded guilty to the same charge, will be sentenced at a later date and could face up to 10 years in prison, according to Amnesty International. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationJERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
DAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian security forces have arrested a former security officer from the Assad era who fled Austria after being sentenced...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
(Photo credit: Charles LeClaire-Imagn Images) Geno Smith made the most of his lone drive, completing all of his passes and throwing...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of Cy...
(Photo credit: Kevin Jairaj-Imagn Images) Klay Thompson is close to joining the Miami Heat after having the final year of his contract...
