Mohan Sinha
20 Aug 2026, 13:00 GMT+10
BUNIA, Congo: Health responders in Congo have warned that Ebola cases have been spreading at an unprecedented and alarming rate, with the latest government data released on August 19 registering 5,000 cases, making it increasingly difficult to contain in one of the country's most remote regions.
Data from Congo's Ministry of Health showed that the outbreak had recorded 5,021 cases and 2,378 deaths as of August 16. The disease is spreading in extremely difficult conditions, with insecurity, displacement and large movements of people making the response more challenging.
The outbreak has infected and killed people faster than any other Ebola outbreak recorded in history.
From the time the first case was detected, the outbreak has spread about three times faster than the Ebola outbreak that affected West Africa between 2014 and 2016. That outbreak was the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded and caused more than 11,000 deaths.
"We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control," Tedros said.
He also warned that the outbreak was spreading quickly and that the risk of it spreading further within Congo and to other countries remained high.
Security problems have made it harder for health workers to respond to the outbreak. Medical teams have been targeted, particularly in Ituri province, which has been hit hardest by the disease.
Earlier this week, residents attacked a health team in the territory of Aru after a suspected Ebola case was reported there.
According to Michael Wani, president of the Union of Cultural Associations for the Development of Ituri, a mob set fire to an ambulance and damaged two other vehicles during the attack.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationBUNIA, Congo: Health responders in Congo have warned that Ebola cases have been spreading at an unprecedented and alarming rate, with...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung says that a strong alliance with the United States is essential for the country's...
DUBAI/DAMASCUS/ANKARA: The Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the conditions of an interim agreement...
LONDON, U.K.: Russia warned Britain on August 18 that it could face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine that are being used...
OTTAWA, Canada: Canadian businesses are bracing for new 50 percent U.S. tariffs set to take effect on August 19 as negotiators from...
NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar: Myanmar's military-backed government has confirmed that nearly 309,000 displaced people living in camps in Bangladesh...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Dominic Canzone and Taylor Ward each drove in two runs during a four-run first inning,...
(Photo credit: Isaiah J. Downing-Imagn Images) Unable to sign rising star Peyton Watson to a new contract, the Denver Nuggets have...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) The Cleveland Guardians placed first baseman Rhys Hoskins on the 10-day injured list...
(Photo credit: Kevin Jairaj-Imagn Images) Two-time Pro-Bowl cornerback Trevon Diggs is signing a one-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks,...
