Anabelle Colaco
21 Aug 2026, 00:22 GMT+10
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. President Donald Trump paused new 50 percent tariffs on Canadian goods for three days late on August 18, saying the United States and Canada had reached a deal, while Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said important work remained.
The tariffs had been scheduled to take effect at midnight.
Trump said on Truth Social that he paused the duties "based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL."
About an hour later, Carney said in a statement that "substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done."
Trump and Carney spoke on the afternoon of August 18, their second conversation this week, while negotiators from both countries have been engaged in weeks of talks.
"While we continue this work, Canada remains focused on building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home," Carney said.
The office of U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the deal would include "comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment," and other provisions.
In a proclamation posted on the White House website, Trump said he had received Canada's commitment to address U.S. concerns over duties on dairy products, alcoholic beverages and motor vehicles.
U.S. officials provided no further details, while the Canadian government did not confirm the contents of an agreement.
The new tariffs would have covered about US$20 billion of Canadian imports and applied even to goods qualifying for preferential treatment under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement, which has shielded much of Canadian industry from earlier U.S. tariffs.
Trump also said the Keystone XL pipeline, canceled by former President Joe Biden in 2021 after years of indigenous and environmental opposition, "may be awoken from the grave." He provided no details.
Canada's minister responsible for U.S. trade, Dominic LeBlanc, and chief trade negotiator Janice Charette have been in Washington since last week. On August 17, they met for nearly two hours with Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick.
The two sides have also discussed cutting U.S. Section 232 tariffs on Canadian vehicles to 15 percent from 25 percent, with further reductions based on the amount of U.S. content in each vehicle, according to sources familiar with the talks.
A key point of contention was how tariff deductions based on content should be calculated. Washington wanted only U.S.-produced content counted, while Canada pushed to include all North American content, including Canadian and Mexican parts.
Earlier on August 18, the U.S. Commerce Department issued new rules allowing automakers exporting from Canada and Mexico to certify their U.S. content levels for tariff deductions once a year instead of twice.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian security forces have arrested a former security officer from the Assad era who fled Austria after being sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: Ukraine's ousted defense minister Mykhailo Fedorov called this week for elections to be held even while the war with...
BUNIA, Congo: Health responders in Congo have warned that Ebola cases have been spreading at an unprecedented and alarming rate, with...
SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean President Lee Jae Myung says that a strong alliance with the United States is essential for the country's...
DUBAI/DAMASCUS/ANKARA: The Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the conditions of an interim agreement...
LONDON, U.K.: Russia warned Britain on August 18 that it could face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine that are being used...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Dale Zanine-Imagn Images) The Denver Broncos are signing veteran safety Taylor Rapp, multiple outlets reported Thursday....
(Photo credit: Corey Perrine/Florida Times-Union / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images) Jaguars left tackle Cole Van Lanen passed...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) After bouncing back from a record-setting loss with an impressive victory, the visiting...
(Photo credit: Michael McLoone-Imagn Images) Dominic Canzone and Taylor Ward each drove in two runs during a four-run first inning,...
