Mohan Sinha
22 Aug 2026, 23:33 GMT+10
DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond "crushingly" to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned to impose the toughest financial penalties in history in an effort to topple the Iranian leadership.
The United States was preparing new sanctions that U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said he would explain on August 24. President Donald Trump had earlier warned that any country providing "any type of lifeline to Iran" could face economic consequences.
Iran's Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said Iran's response would be broad and decisive.
Abdollahi said Iran's armed forces were prepared across land, sea, air, air defense and cyberspace and would respond to any new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating force, Iranian media reported.
Iran's parliament speaker, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the country's main negotiator in mediated talks with the United States, said Washington appeared to have realized it could not win a direct military confrontation.
Speaking in neighboring Iraq, Qalibaf said Iran needed to make plans to deal with what he called unfair sanctions and overcome them. He accused the United States and Israel of using economic and "cognitive" warfare.
Oil prices fell slightly on August 21 but were still on track for a second straight weekly increase. Prices had risen on Thursday after the United States announced its new sanctions threat.
Bessent told CNBC that he was unsure why oil prices had risen because maximum economic pressure would probably mean there would not be a large-scale return to military action.
The United States and Iran announced two ceasefire agreements in April and June, aimed at restoring the free movement of ships through the Strait of Hormuz and moving toward an end to the nearly six-month-old conflict. Both ceasefires, however, quickly collapsed.
Bessent said Washington intended to bring down the Iranian government and that it was time for U.S. allies and other countries to decide where they stood. He described the naval blockade imposed again on Iran in July and the planned toughest-ever sanctions as a "one-two punch".
Iran has faced almost continuous economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. The country is now dealing with high inflation, a weakening currency, energy shortages and damaged infrastructure.
Some Iranians interviewed by Reuters said additional economic pressure could make life even harder, weaken the country's clerical leadership and trigger unrest. However, there has been no sign of such unrest since a deadly crackdown on protests in January.
Before Bessent's comments, Iran's Foreign Ministry said U.S. sanctions would not create any hesitation among Iranians in protecting the country's independence, dignity and national sovereignty.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, who is considered relatively moderate and has raised concerns about the economy, said Iran would respond to any attack with crushing force. However, he also said the war should now end because the United States was internationally isolated, repeating his earlier position.
Bessent said China gets half of its energy from the Middle East and argued that Beijing should cooperate with Washington's approach.
China bought more than 80 percent of Iran's exported oil in 2025, according to data from analytics firm Kpler. However, further U.S. economic pressure on China could lead to retaliation, especially as Beijing has recently eased some restrictions on exports of its important rare-earth minerals.
Trade sources told Reuters that offers of Iranian crude to Chinese buyers had already fallen since the United States reimposed its blockade on Iranian ports in mid-July.
China's embassy in Washington said sanctions and pressure would not help solve the problem and called for a diplomatic solution.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
(Photo credit: Charles LeClaire-Imagn Images) Geno Smith made the most of his lone drive, completing all of his passes and throwing...
