ANI
22 Aug 2026, 00:33 GMT+10
New Delhi [India], August 21 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs said on Friday that it is closely monitoring incidents involving Indian sailors in high-risk maritime zones, including the Strait of Hormuz and the coasts of Yemen and Somalia.
During a media briefing, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal addressed growing safety concerns regarding Indian mariners operating in volatile waters, reiterating New Delhi's commitment to prioritising the welfare of its seafaring community.
Responding to questions regarding a video released by the Forward Seamen's Union of India (FSUI) from an incident dated April 22 on Thursday, which claims Indian sailors were being harassed by forces identified as the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy, Jaiswal affirmed that safety issues are routinely raised with relevant international authorities.
'As we have said time and again, the welfare and safety of our seafaring community is a matter which we take very seriously and we attach very high priority to this subject,' Jaiswal said. 'Whenever there's an issue with our seafarer community, with our seamen, we take it up with the relevant authorities. In this particular case, let me come back to you as to what has been the progress.'
Jaiswal also addressed reports regarding two foreign-flagged commercial ships recently seized by armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden and off the Somali coast, confirming that 22 Indian nationals are among the captive crew.
'There are two ships. Both of these ships are foreign-flagged--meaning they fly the flag of another country. There are 22 Indian citizens/sailors on them: 16 in one and 6 in the other,' Jaiswal stated.
Assuring that all Indian seafarers are currently unharmed, the spokesperson added, 'What we have learned so far is that those 22 citizens, our sailors, are safe. We are in touch with the relevant officials regarding this matter so that we can ensure the safety and well-being of our people. I will provide more specific information as it becomes available.'
The MEA's response comes after the Forward Seamen's Union of India (FSUI) released footage documenting an attack by Iranian naval forces on a commercial vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, using the incident to demand direct naval escort and physical protection for mariners navigating high-risk conflict zones.
The footage, captured on April 22, 2026, depicts a Panama-flagged vessel carrying 22 crew members, 21 of whom are Indian nationals, being surrounded by small armed craft. Through the video, FSUI claimed that the small boats encircling the merchant vessel belonged to the IRGC, that a Rocket-Propelled Grenade (RPG) was used, and that crew members took shelter in interior corridors to survive the assault.
'On 22 April, in the Strait of Hormuz, a vessel carrying 22 crew members, of whom 21 were Indian, faced a deeply distressing situation. These were not pirates. They were naval forces of the IRGC. Videos show several small boats surrounding the vessel, the intensity of the confrontation, an RPG being fired, and the seafarers taking cover in the alleyways simply to protect their lives,' FSUI wrote in a post on X.
'This is the reality, beyond explanations. This kind of fear and danger continues. Advisories and guidelines alone cannot ensure safety. Innocent seafarers need the assured presence of naval forces to truly protect them,' it added.
https://x.com/FSUIINDIA/status/2090435030451634521
This comes amid heightened security risks for commercial shipping in the Persian Gulf and the Horn of Africa, with Indian authorities actively engaging diplomatic and maritime channels to safeguard citizen safety. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationKYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
DAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian security forces have arrested a former security officer from the Assad era who fled Austria after being sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: Ukraine's ousted defense minister Mykhailo Fedorov called this week for elections to be held even while the war with...
BUNIA, Congo: Health responders in Congo have warned that Ebola cases have been spreading at an unprecedented and alarming rate, with...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) If not for St. Louis Cardinals slugger Joshua Baez, Matthew Boyd would be having a...
(Photo credit: Darren Yamashita-Imagn Images) The Colorado Rockies returned from a 5-4 road trip with some momentum, but the Los...
(Photo credit: Jordan Godfree-Imagn Images) The pitchers with the major leagues' top two ERAs will go head to head when the Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Katie Stratman-Imagn Images) The St. Louis Cardinals overcame a grand slam with help from a crucial error in the top...
