RT.com
22 Aug 2026, 00:43 GMT+10
The service may rename the planned USS Doris Miller aircraft carrier after the sitting president
The US Navy is reportedly considering whether to rename an upcoming aircraft carrier honoring World War II black hero Doris Miller after President Donald Trump in an unprecedented move.
The ongoing discussions were first reported on Friday by CNN, citing three sources familiar with the matter. The report was corroborated by CBN News, with two unnamed US officials confirming to the broadcaster that deliberations have been going on.
The USS Doris Miller is set to become the fourth Ford-class aircraft carrier and is expected to be commissioned in the mid-2030s. Under the first Trump administration, the US Navy announced the decision to name it after Miller, who distinguished himself during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The sailor, an enlisted cook with no appropriate training, managed to shoot down at least one incoming Japanese aircraft during the attack, becoming the first black recipient of the Navy Cross for his feat.
The navy is now reportedly weighing renaming a different warship after Miller, as well as posthumously recommending him for the Medal of Honor, the top US decoration for military valor. The sailor was killed in 1943 in the Japanese torpedoing of the USS Liscome Bay, which remains the deadliest carrier sinking in US Navy history, with over 700 crew lost.
During conversations regarding the ship's name, the US Navy reportedly stopped referring to the ship as the USS Doris Miller, calling it exclusively by its hull number, CVN-81, one of the sources told CNN. The service has also been reportedly reviewing its rules covering vessel appellation, as naming a carrier after a sitting president would be an unprecedented and highly controversial move.
A recent Trump executive order, in which he tasked the Pentagon and US Navy to come up with a plan to replace electromagnetic aircraft launch systems on carriers with old-school steam and hydraulic catapults, also referred to the ship only by its hull number.
The US president has shown a great interest in shipbuilding during his second term. In December last year, Trump announced plans to construct a 'Golden Fleet' of massive, aptly named Trump-class battleships that would be "100 times more powerful" than any ever built. Trump said he approved building two ships to start, with plans for up to 25.
The 'Golden Fleet' affair reportedly resulted in the downfall of Navy Secretary John Phelan, who was sacked this April for allegedly failing to deliver a plan to build the Trump-class battleships on a "nearly impossible timeline."
(RT.com)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationKYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
DAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian security forces have arrested a former security officer from the Assad era who fled Austria after being sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: Ukraine's ousted defense minister Mykhailo Fedorov called this week for elections to be held even while the war with...
BUNIA, Congo: Health responders in Congo have warned that Ebola cases have been spreading at an unprecedented and alarming rate, with...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
DUBAI/CAIRO/GARDEN CITY, New York: Iran has called on the United States to accept that it has been defeated, while U.S. President Donald...
(Photo credit: Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images) If not for St. Louis Cardinals slugger Joshua Baez, Matthew Boyd would be having a...
(Photo credit: Darren Yamashita-Imagn Images) The Colorado Rockies returned from a 5-4 road trip with some momentum, but the Los...
(Photo credit: Jordan Godfree-Imagn Images) The pitchers with the major leagues' top two ERAs will go head to head when the Milwaukee...
(Photo credit: Katie Stratman-Imagn Images) The St. Louis Cardinals overcame a grand slam with help from a crucial error in the top...
