Anabelle Colaco
23 Aug 2026, 13:19 GMT+10
BEIJING, China: Tesla and eight other automakers will recall about 4.3 million vehicles in China over concerns that doors may be difficult to open in an emergency, marking the country's largest automotive recall.
The remedies range from software updates to warning labels and improved markings around door handles.
China has increased oversight of the electric vehicle industry this year and introduced tougher safety requirements as automakers roll out new technologies amid intense competition in the world's largest vehicle market.
The country has also said it will ban concealed door handles from 2027, becoming the first to phase out a design popularized by Tesla and widely adopted by Chinese EV makers.
Most of the recalls target emergency mechanical door-release handles that regulators say may be difficult to locate or operate after a crash. The issue has drawn scrutiny following cases of passengers being trapped inside burning vehicles.
Chinese state media reported in October that the driver of a Xiaomi SU7 sedan died after a crash and fire because passersby could not open the doors to pull him out.
Tesla's recall is the largest, covering 2.98 million imported and China-made Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X vehicles from September 25, according to China's State Administration for Market Regulation.
The automaker said mechanical emergency door-release handles may be difficult to identify following a severe collision and electrical system failure, potentially hindering occupants' escape or rescuers' access.
Tesla will add warning labels and remotely update the vehicles so windows automatically lower after a collision.
Xiaomi will recall about 390,000 vehicles, Leapmotor about 371,000 and Xpeng about 264,000. Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng and Geely Holding are each undertaking their largest recalls on record, according to regulatory filings.
Leapmotor said its upgrade involved a warning label and power-window control software update, adding that it was handling the issue through the recall process "out of a sense of responsibility to our users."
The financial impact may be limited because many fixes can be delivered remotely.
"Modern over-the-air updates reduce the costs and downtime associated with major recalls and even the physical work needed to be done will not be very costly compared to significant recalls of the past," said Sam Fiorani, vice president at AutoForecast Solutions.
Door handles have also faced scrutiny in the United States, where regulators said last month they would consider new safety standards addressing the risk of occupants becoming trapped during electrical power failures.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationHONG KONG: Hong Kong's High Court on August 21 convicted two pro-democracy activists of inciting subversion, focusing on their use...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers blasted a two-run homer to cap a three-run third inning for the Milwaukee Brewers...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Seattle Seahawks placed wide receiver Jake Bobo on season-ending injured reserve Saturday....
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
