ANI
23 Aug 2026, 00:34 GMT+10
New York [US], August 22 (ANI): Legendary Tennis player Serena Williams will make her return to the US Open by partnering with Spanish star Carlos Alcaraz in the mixed doubles event, forming one of the most high-profile pairings in the tournament.
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced on Saturday that Williams and Alcaraz had received a wild card entry for the competition, with the mixed doubles main draw set to begin on Tuesday.
The tournament will mark Williams' first appearance at the US Open since 2022. The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion made her comeback to competitive tennis this summer.
Meanwhile, Alcaraz confirmed earlier this week that he will defend his US Open singles title after recovering from a right wrist injury that had kept him out of action since April.
https://x.com/usopen/status/2091163903107453064?s=20
On the other hand, World No. 1 Jannik Sinner pulled out of the US Open due to a right knee injury, the Italian player's team said on Friday, according to the ATP website.
Sinner's last appearance came at Wimbledon, where he lifted his fifth Grand Slam title and first major trophy of the season.
During his title-winning run at SW19, he was pushed to five sets by Miomir Kecmanovic in the opening round but did not drop another set before defeating Roland Garros champion Alexander Zverev in the final in four sets.
This marks the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam event since making his major debut at the 2019 US Open. The 25-year-old has enjoyed a remarkable 2026 season, dominating the ATP Tour with titles at the first five ATP Masters 1000 events of the year -- Indian Wells, Miami, Monte-Carlo, Madrid and Rome. He has compiled a 44-3 win-loss record and claimed six titles so far this season.
According to a statement from Sinner's team, the Italian will stay in Europe and continue his rehabilitation with his medical and performance staff. The focus will be on returning to action during the Asian swing, with participation targeted at tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.
'Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,' Sinner said in a statement.
'We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there,' the statement added. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Seattle Seahawks placed wide receiver Jake Bobo on season-ending injured reserve Saturday....
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
