ANI
23 Aug 2026, 01:33 GMT+10
Washington, DC [US], August 23 (ANI): Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director Kash Patel on Saturday (local time) said that federal law enforcement has successfully disrupted an alleged ISIS-inspired terrorist plot targeting the New York State Capitol, spearheaded by a 35-year-old Albany woman.
In a post on X, Patel pointed to the broader scope of federal counterterrorism operations and revealed that law enforcement disrupted 640 planned terror attacks over the past year.
'Another potential terrorist attack on American soil -- DISRUPTED. A 35-year-old Albany woman is accused of plotting an ISIS-inspired attack targeting the New York State Capitol. And this is just one of the threats federal law enforcement is confronting. 640 planned terror attacks disrupted last year,' he wrote.
Reflecting on the ongoing security challenges in a public statement, Patel emphasised the multifaceted nature of current operations, stating that authorities are actively confronting 'threats targeting Americans here at home' alongside 'threats targeting our troops overseas.'
Highlighting the successful neutralisation of the Albany plot, he added, 'Another alleged terrorist plot stopped before innocent lives were lost. Some of these operations you hear about. Many you never will. That's the mission.'
Praising the collaborative effort involved in foiling the attack, Patel commended the decisive action taken by the bureau.
'Outstanding work by our FBI Albany team, our partners at the Justice Dept, and Attorney General Todd Blanche. This FBI will remain relentless in finding these threats, disrupting them, and keeping Americans safe,' he noted.
https://x.com/i/status/2091194829057245334
Earlier in May, US President Donald Trump had stated that the US military, in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria, eliminated the second-in-command of the global terrorist organisation Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in a 'complex and precise' military operation.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the 'second in command of ISIS globally', was eliminated during the joint operation, adding that the operation targeted him in Africa, where he was allegedly hiding.
'Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield. Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing,' the post read.Trump had also thanked the Government of Nigeria for its cooperation in the mission.
'He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans. With his removal, ISIS's global operation is greatly diminished. Thank you to the Government of Nigeria for your partnership on this operation. GOD BLESS AMERICA!' the post added.
In June 2023, under then-President Joe Biden, the US State Department designated Abu-Bilal al-Minuki as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Seattle Seahawks placed wide receiver Jake Bobo on season-ending injured reserve Saturday....
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
(Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images) Although Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter is selling off other holdings while...
