ANI
23 Aug 2026, 09:00 GMT+10
Washington, DC [US], August 23 (ANI): Tensions between Washington and Tehran escalated further on Sunday after US President Donald Trump again shared an image that depicts the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as 'NEW US Territory', even as Iran reiterated that the crucial maritime corridor will remain closed unless the United States alters its stance.
The latest post on Truth Social follows Trump's earlier sharing of the identical graphic on August 18, after he previously floated the prospect of claiming jurisdiction over the waterway.
Addressing a police academy gathering on Long Island on August 14, Trump had stated, 'Pretty soon I'll be declaring the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States'.
Rejecting Washington's territorial assertions, Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary Mohsen Rezaei launched a sharp critique against the US president's statements regarding the narrow channel.
'The gap between America's inability to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and its claim to own it is greater than the 7,000-mile distance between Washington and the Strait itself,' Rezaei said, adding, 'Welcome to the post-American order in the Persian Gulf.'
The rhetoric comes as the United States prepares to roll out additional economic measures targeting Tehran, deepening the financial standoff between both nations.
Iran condemned the forthcoming punitive steps, warning that the measures risk further damaging its economy and impacting key trade partners, particularly China, which remains a principal importer of Iranian crude.
Earlier, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is slated to outline what he characterised as 'the toughest sanctions in history' against Tehran, while calling on Beijing to cooperate with Washington concerning Iranian oil shipments.
Denouncing the upcoming restrictions, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei described the move as an attempt by Washington to project extra-territorial authority.
'Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law,' Baghaei posted on X on August 22.
Simultaneously, Mohsen Rezaei issued a stern warning to regional neighbours against aligning with Washington's punitive measures.
'We are telling all nearby countries not to join the US economic war, otherwise we will consider them as enemies,' Rezaei stated.
The Strait of Hormuz remains the focal point of the ongoing confrontation, with Tehran holding that the vital passage is shut and warning of countermeasures against unapproved tanker traffic. The shipping disruptions have severely affected international energy movement.
While President Trump has repeatedly cautioned foreign governments against providing Tehran with 'any type of lifeline' and maintained that Iran must agree to what Washington deems the right deal, Iranian officials have signalled an openness to negotiations alongside their firm stance.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian called for diplomatic engagement to resolve the standoff, emphasising that Tehran should aim to end the conflict while safeguarding its national strength and dignity.
With President Trump continuing to designate the Strait of Hormuz as 'NEW US Territory' and Tehran maintaining that the passage will stay closed without a shift in American policy, the strategic transit route remains at the centre of the worsening crisis. (ANI)
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationDUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
WASHINGTON D.C.: U.S. public debt has crossed US$40 trillion for the first time, more than doubling in less than a decade as government...
OAKLAND, California: A former Meta Platforms engineering director told jurors on Thursday that CEO Mark Zuckerberg fostered a company...
WASHINGTON, DC: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating healthcare database giant Epic Systems over how it grants or restricts...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers blasted a two-run homer to cap a three-run third inning for the Milwaukee Brewers...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Seattle Seahawks placed wide receiver Jake Bobo on season-ending injured reserve Saturday....
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
