Mohan Sinha
23 Aug 2026, 15:46 GMT+10
LONDON, U.K.: Prince Harry and the other high-profile claimants must make an interim payment of £9.54 million towards the legal costs of the Daily Mail publisher after losing their privacy lawsuits, London's High Court ruled on August 21.
Last month, Judge Matthew Nicklin rejected the case brought by King Charles' younger son, singer Elton John and five other public figures. The claimants accused the Mail newspapers of widespread unlawful activities, including phone hacking, but the judge rejected those allegations.
The latest ruling on legal costs was another setback for Harry and the other claimants. The judge ruled that the remaining legal costs must be paid on an "indemnity basis".
This means that, as the losing parties, Harry and the other claimants must contribute towards Associated's legal costs without the publisher having to prove that the costs were reasonable and proportionate.
After the judge's original ruling, Associated said the decision was a major victory for its newspapers and journalists and "for a free press generally". Harry, 41, described the judgment as a "complete and obvious whitewash".
During a hearing in July, the court was told that Associated had incurred legal costs of £34.5 million (US$45.8 million). Harry and the other claimants, meanwhile, had an insurance policy covering only £16 million.
The Mail publisher is seeking an interim payment of £10 million, while Harry and the six other claimants have offered £8 million.
The court's decision comes days after the surprise announcement that Harry, his wife Meghan and their two children will move to Britain this month from their home in California.
Harry and Meghan stepped down from official royal duties in 2020 when they moved to the United States. They will not return to royal duties and will not receive public money.
During last month's hearing on legal costs, Associated's lawyer Antony White argued that the claimants had made broad and serious "egregious" allegations without enough evidence to support them. He said the allegations had increased the publisher's legal costs.
White also argued that Harry had abused his position and celebrity status through a statement he made after the ruling.
Nicholas Bacon, the lawyer representing the claimants, said in court submissions that Associated's £34.5 million legal bill was "eye-watering" and far above an agreed budget.
Bacon also said reports had suggested that Associated wanted to teach the claimants a lesson. He argued that awarding indemnity costs would therefore be unfair.
Nicklin rejected Harry and the other claimants' lawsuits after an 11-week trial. He said they needed to prove that information published about them had been obtained unlawfully, but they had failed to do so. He said suspicion alone was not enough.
No decision has yet been made on whether Harry and the other claimants will appeal the ruling.
Get a daily dose of Milwaukee Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Milwaukee Sun.
More InformationLONDON, U.K.: Prince Harry and the other high-profile claimants must make an interim payment of £9.54 million towards the legal costs...
HONG KONG: Hong Kong's High Court on August 21 convicted two pro-democracy activists of inciting subversion, focusing on their use...
DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Iran said on August 21 that it would respond crushingly to any new U.S. threats after Washington said it planned...
JERUSALEM/CAIRO: More than two years after her killing, Israel's military admitted that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying...
HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, China: The founder of China Evergrande Group, the world's most heavily indebted property developer, was sentenced...
KYIV, Ukraine: A major Russian airstrike killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on August 20....
(Photo credit: John Jones-Imagn Images) Dylan Cease took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, and the visiting Toronto Blue Jays...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jake Bauers blasted a two-run homer to cap a three-run third inning for the Milwaukee Brewers...
(Photo credit: Steven Bisig-Imagn Images) The Seattle Seahawks placed wide receiver Jake Bobo on season-ending injured reserve Saturday....
(Photo credit: Jon Endow-Imagn Images) Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Tarik Skubal will take another shot at his first win with...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) The dog days of summer are biting at the Atlanta Braves, whose offense has fallen into a...
(Photo credit: Benny Sieu-Imagn Images) Jacob Misiorowski pitched six shutout innings and outdueled Chris Sale in a matchup of National...
